Home VRHeads Q&A > Health & Safety

I have chronic migraines, will using VR exacerbate it?

Asked: May 26 2016 | 3:28 pm EDT 4941 Views 6 Answers View Best Answer

I suffer from chronic migraines, will using virtual reality equipment and programs exacerbate it? I want to enjoy this new technology but I don't want crazy migraines.

Best Answer

May 26 2016 | 4:36 pm EDT Russell Holly

My understanding is that migraines are a little different for everyone, so I can only offer anecdotal evidence, but I live with two different people who suffer from chronic migraines and neither have ever had a problem after using either of the several VR headsets I have.

More Answers

May 26 2016 | 7:49 pm EDT pkcable

I'm a migraine sufferer myself, so I HAVE done a little research on this. I don't believe there is a direct connection to VR and migraines and I don't believe that VR is a migraine trigger. HOWEVER, prolonged use of VR can cause dizziness and headaches, so you might want to consider doing it in small doses until you see how you tolerate it.
May 27 2016 | 7:40 am EDT anon(9602380)

This is great news. I suffer from migraines and these responses will be taken into consideration.
May 27 2016 | 4:23 pm EDT KermEd

This is great news. I suffer from migraines and these responses will be taken into consideration.
For what its worth, I get migraines REALLY badly - and mine are caused by bright lights and eye strain mostly.

I develop for VR full-time, and I haven't had a headache driven by it yet... But some people are sensitive in different ways. I will say, it definitely won't help
May 27 2016 | 5:30 pm EDT anon(9602380)

For what its worth, I get migraines REALLY badly - and mine are caused by bright lights and eye strain mostly.

I develop for VR full-time, and I haven't had a headache driven by it yet... But some people are sensitive in different ways. I will say, it definitely won't help
Thank you for the info.
Jun 06 2016 | 12:07 am EDT STARGATE

I'm a migraine sufferer myself, so I HAVE done a little research on this. I don't believe there is a direct connection to VR and migraines and I don't believe that VR is a migraine trigger. HOWEVER, prolonged use of VR can cause dizziness and headaches, so you might want to consider doing it in small doses until you see how you tolerate it.
I agree.