Folks,

I just read about this GREAT safety feature on the HTC Vive. It has a camera built in which lets you peak out in to the real world, for a break from the immersion, or to check out whats going on in case of emergencies! I think this is an awesome feature and can be quite useful! What do you think? To learn more about this please check out this blog.....

Get the most out of the camera on your HTC Vive | VRHeads

Rich
    01-24-2017 09:40 AM
    What do you think?
    It's pretty neat especially with it's tron style room view. Trouble is it's kind of flaky. It states in SteamVR that it can affect tracking. I never had this problem.

Originally it worked without a hitch. I had to turn it off in a more recent build of SteamVR because it was outright freezing my headset.
    I hear changing your usb input to a 2.0 port can help with issues but not on this occasion. Maybe it will start working again at some point.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-24-2017 01:17 PM
    It was freezing your headset? Did this happen any time the camera was on?
    pkcable likes this.
    01-24-2017 01:44 PM
    It was freezing your headset? Did this happen any time the camera was on?
    As soon as I pressed the guide button at all it would blink off. I think the screen came back on but the wands no longer worked.
    It might no longer happen I haven't tried it with the camera on for weeks.

Update: I just checked it and it seems to be working fine again. I do use SteamVR beta so it was probably just a bug.
    Last edited by VirtuaTyKing; 01-24-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    pkcable and Russell Holly like this.
    01-24-2017 02:19 PM
    Wow, glad it has been fixed. That would have driven me crazy!
    01-25-2017 08:18 AM
    This is a feature I always liked in the Vive. I am glad the issues have been sorted out. One day I will get one to add to my collection.
    01-25-2017 10:49 AM
    Randomly it started happening again! My latest troubleshooting attempt is to turn off audio enhancements on the usb audio device. Fixed again for now but I won't know for a couple of weeks if it's fixed for good. As it goes wrong randomly.
    01-31-2017 06:09 AM
    Randomly it started happening again! My latest troubleshooting attempt is to turn off audio enhancements on the usb audio device. Fixed again for now but I won't know for a couple of weeks if it's fixed for good. As it goes wrong randomly.
    There's definitely some limitations depending on the bandwidth of USB ports, with slower ports struggling to handle both tracking and camera data. Have you tried reducing the camera quality in SteamVR's settings?
    02-21-2017 09:14 AM
    There's definitely some limitations depending on the bandwidth of USB ports, with slower ports struggling to handle both tracking and camera data. Have you tried reducing the camera quality in SteamVR's settings?
    Turning off audio enhancements and lowering camera's refresh to 55hz worked for me. Randomly I get the same results using usb 2.0 or 3.0.
    02-21-2017 01:17 PM
    well, it is good feature but again, how you know when the trouble is in front of you?
    hololens does not has this problem .
    for me it would be better if that camera was warning you within the game that you are close to some fall or fall or even some trouble in front of you if u walk ahead.
    07-15-2017 05:41 PM
    Folks,

I just read about this GREAT safety feature on the HTC Vive. It has a camera built in which lets you peak out in to the real world, for a break from the immersion, or to check out whats going on in case of emergencies! I think this is an awesome feature and can be quite useful! What do you think? To learn more about this please check out this blog.....

Get the most out of the camera on your HTC Vive | VRHeads

Rich
    Those are great tips indeed, thanks for sharing
    08-04-2017 11:30 PM
    Interestingly my GearVR has this too!
    08-04-2017 11:54 PM