I'm trying to guess how the VR Headsets DESTEK v4 works.

Most VR Headsets have a material that touches the screen when we push the button with a finger. When we release the button, that material is not in contact with the screen anymore.

However, that model has that material in contact with the screen all the time, both when we press the button and when we release it.

I have uploaded a video. The material circled in red is the whole time in contact with the screen. It does NOT move when we press the button. This is how it looks by inside: https://youtu.be/F9Wpc7rwNbQ

I have got the following explanation so far:
    When you make VR glasses connect with smart phone, you can see the middle of two glasses there's one Electrically Conductive Silicone touch the screen of smart phone, and the basic idea is taking advantage of the electrical properties of the human body, when human fingers touch action buttons then just like our fingers touch screen. Action button also is electrically conductive silicone, when you press the action button inner pressure will push inner's electrically conductive silicone will touch smart phone's screen.

I'm questioning the durability of that cool system because I tested in 2015 a VR Headsets which seem to have a similar system but without the mechanical part: you just needed to touch the button with that model, but it stopped working after some time and I have not any idea of why. I have realized that when I touch the button, it is detected by the phone somehow. However, the applications don't detect it. I have realized it is detected because the lights of both the menu and the back turn on when I touch the touch button. I toke 2 pictures then:
    - This picture shows the button to touch with the fingers: http://i.imgur.com/xDV1BXu.jpg
    - This picture shows the part that touches the screen: http://i.imgur.com/XeXVZAb.jpg

I got the following answer in the official Google+ Social Network (it's going to disappear in a couple of weeks, so I don't copy the link): It is a conductive rubber, or plastic that is used to create capacitive conduit, essentially extending your finger's touch. I am using similar technique with a conductive fabric tape. I am surprised the small area works. I found I need a larger to ensure good contact, which maybe part of the problem, and not enough pressure applied to the screen to ensure good contact. I would also remove the screen protector.

But it was working a the beginning. Then it stopped working.

So my question is: is that DESTEK v4 Headset button system durable? Any light about this?

Thanks

Carlos
    03-15-2019 09:39 AM
    Certainly sounds like interesting tech, BUT I too would question its long term durability!
    03-15-2019 10:54 AM