How well does Google Cardboard really work? It looks nothing like it's counterpart VR products, does it work just as good as the others?
    07-19-2016 10:21 AM
    Does a bicycle work as well as a Ducati? Sure the bike will get you from point a to point b, BUT wouldn't you rather have the Ducati? HOWEVER not everyone can afford or knows how to drive a Ducati.
    08-17-2016 12:29 PM
    Considering the cost it works really well. You can spend anywhere from $5 up to around $30 for a viewer that is Cardboard compatible. In my opinion it is one of the best addons for a phone. Even though I have access to a couple different headsets, it's still cool to be able to pull my Cardboard out of my backpack and show stuff to people.

I like the DSCVR because it is solid and easy to use, and comes in a hard plastic case that carries well.
    pkcable and LezCronut like this.
    08-30-2016 10:57 AM
    I once answered a free offer by I think it was one of the pron sites, not sure, and I never got it, I'm thinking about just buying one on Ebay or Amazon, but I have an HTC Evo 3D and I don't think it's going to even work, do I need to upgrade before I can try this?
    Thanks
    09-05-2016 03:08 AM
    i've been thinkin' bout tryin' one...will let ya know! ph
    09-06-2016 12:12 AM
    I once answered a free offer by I think it was one of the pron sites, not sure, and I never got it, I'm thinking about just buying one on Ebay or Amazon, but I have an HTC Evo 3D and I don't think it's going to even work, do I need to upgrade before I can try this?
    Thanks
    Probably, yes. As a first test, you can try downloading the Google Cardboard app and seeing it it crashes (or even lets you download it). But I'd guess that screen is going to hold you back, even if the apps run okay. When split in half and magnified, screen resolution really makes a difference. 720 is really the minimum, with 1080 being the standard, and higher being optimal.

If this does inspire you to upgrade and you're thinking of getting one of the budget phones out there, also note that your phone needs gyroscopic sensors to work with Cardboard. My friend got a Moto E and was bummed that his Mattel Viewmaster didn't work with it.
    09-08-2016 06:26 AM
    How well does Google Cardboard really work? It looks nothing like it's counterpart VR products, does it work just as good as the others?
    It does a surprisingly good job and has the lowest barrier to entry by far. It's no wonder that Cardboard has the biggest user base (of course most of them are super casual). You probably have a phone that'll work with Cardboard, so now all you need is a $3+ kit (sometimes free) and you're all set to give it a shot. It's practically a no brainer.
    09-08-2016 06:30 AM
    I see, and I thought the old processor would be the issue, I guess I gotta get a phone with a bigger screen then, thanks
    09-08-2016 10:13 PM
    Unfortunately the only barrier could be an old phone, if that's the case time to upgrade, Considering the size of the screens and the power of the processors of the new Iphones, I wonder why Apple hasn't come out with their own version of Gear VR?
    09-10-2016 02:37 AM
    It works well, but if you're looking for immersive gameplay, you're not going to find it. A touchscreen device that you can't touch doesn't work very well. Still, there's some pretty cool stuff out there. My kid loves Google Street View, and Within is pretty cool.
    BioFanatic likes this.
    09-14-2016 07:55 PM
    I works but with some limitations: you need to hold the phone to not drop it and it wears out easily, after all it's cardboard
    10-13-2016 12:55 PM
    I liked the free one that I got from the Google Store last year, but it seemed mostly gimmicky to me.
    10-13-2016 02:14 PM
    Because I wear glasses the actual google cardboard and the close imitators didn't really work for me. I ended up with a cheap plastic headset that holds your phone and works like google cardboard, but also has head straps. It accommodates my eyeglasses, is more comfortable and somewhat fun. It came with a cheap handheld controller that I haven't actually tried yet.
    10-13-2016 02:28 PM
    I got a free Cardboard from Verizon when they did their Star Wars promotion. Worked really well with my LG G3 until my G3's screen died. Using my backup Moto X now, so I haven't even bothered to touch my cardboard since, as I assume the X (first gen) won't work.
    10-13-2016 03:14 PM
    I've had an original cardboard Cardboard unit for a couple of years, and had mostly good experiences.

Some notes
    1) Design requires you to hold the unit and phone (not true of all Cardboard units, I've seen some for sale with straps) but you could probably add straps as well.
    2) Phone resolution is king: first used Cardboard with a 1080p screen and the pixels are clearly visible.
    3) My old glasses fit within the resesses, but my new ones do not. If you wear glasses, you may need to make some alterations to your Cardboard (which is very easy since it's made of cardboard)
    4) For a better VR experience, use headphones and a Bluetooth controller with the Cardboard.
    Last edited by velinion; 10-13-2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Fixed auto correct mistake
    10-13-2016 05:12 PM
    I have the google card board v2 and it's pretty awesome for an intro to VR especially for the price. Just be sure to use a phone with at least 1080p resolution for pretty graphics. I use my old LG3 with 1440p resolution for this, my only complain with this is overheating of the phone and buggy apps.
    10-14-2016 12:29 PM
    Considering the cost, it works for how much you paid for it. Functionally, it is fine. If you want a more solid/better headset you are going to have to pay more
    10-14-2016 03:21 PM
    So a 720p phone ism't going to work well with it?
    10-15-2016 12:44 AM
    So a 720p phone ism't going to work well with it?
    No.
    10-16-2016 05:42 AM
    It most certainly works! I've used the first version of the cardboard and I was so amazed with my first vr experience that the comfort was overlooked. As discussed above, there are variants of the cardboard. With each dollar, the comfort gets better. However, even your smartphone matters, in fact it mostly depends on it. First requisite are the sensors needed (G,L,P) and the second requisite would be the screen itself. 720 does work fine but you can see the pixels and whatnot. Even the device heats up after some time which you can feel in your eyes, if you're hooked on it for a long period.
    Surely, with the introduction of Daydream, and the adoption of fabric, things are going to change.
    10-16-2016 10:39 AM
    Did some digging around and found the plastic headset I refered to earlier:

RITECH Riem III VR 3D Glasses
    10-17-2016 12:07 PM
    I really like my Google Cardboard, and my daughter likes it even more.
    10-18-2016 12:15 AM
    Having been forced into using my backup phone, the first Gen Moto X, I have gotten the cardboard to work; but I wouldn't recommend it with 720p...or at least keep in mind not to think you're seeing VR as it should be.
    10-18-2016 11:26 AM
    I have a cardboard that I use with GS6, and, for it's price, you get a decent experience.

I love watching YouTube 360 videos on it.
    10-19-2016 11:26 AM
    It works it just depends on the quality of the display and the resolution that the content is on.
    10-20-2016 09:34 AM
30 12