I am interested in purchasing a VR product but I don't want to spend to much money. Are the cardboard viewers worth it? Do they break easy?
    07-18-2016 11:57 AM
    Google Cardboard is a good introduction to VR, often you can find them free or for very low cost. HOWEVER you can also find premium models made of plastic for just a bit more. The Mattel View-Master for example retails for 30. It's actually on sale right now for 13 dollars on Amazon!!!! https://www.amazon.com/View-Master-V...UvrUvbUpU50072 There are other premium models as well, a simple search of VR at Amazon afford a plethora of good choices...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...UvrUvbUpU50072
    Google Cardboard is a good introduction to VR, often you can find them free or for very low cost. HOWEVER you can also find premium models made of plastic for just a bit more. The Mattel View-Master for example retails for 30. It's actually on sale right now for 13 dollars on Amazon!!!! https://www.amazon.com/View-Master-V...UvrUvbUpU50072 There are other premium models as well, a simple search of VR at Amazon afford a plethora of good choices...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...UvrUvbUpU50072
    07-18-2016 01:20 PM
    It all depends on your headset. Your most basic Cardboard set is, well, cardboard. Naturally, it's not very hard wearing. However, it's a good place to start. Cardboard headsets are dirt cheap, so it's a great place to start if you're interested, but there are limitations. Many don't come with head straps, for example. Also, the interactivity on many apps is limited. Many of them are simply videos or photos shot from a 360 camera. (VR rollercoasters, skydiving and the like). A lot of these are very cool (Google Street View is one of my favorites), but if it's gaming you're after, your choices are somewhat limited. You can see everything, but how do you interact with the environment? There are options, like the magnet controller, or some sort of Bluetooth hand controller, but these are limited.

It also depends on what kind of phone you have. Android seems to have more apps than iOS, but that doesn't mean there isn't some good stuff for iOS. There's a lot of expansion sets coming out which pairs your phone with a computer, expanding the experience, but again, this seems largely concentrated in the iOS realm.

So is it worth it? Absolutely. Is it the richest VR experience out there? Not even close. But it's still a lot of fun, and worth plonking down $10 for a headset.
    09-22-2016 11:05 AM
    Google Cardboard was my first home "VR" Experience and while it's not the best, it got me super excited about the premium devices (Vive, PSVR, Oculus). I did find some games (Riding rollercoasters) got me very sick to my stomach and forced me to lay down. But I played a couple horror experiences and those were effective in freaking me out... And it helped me understand the "immersive" factor of it. You can watch videos all day online, but it really doesn't translate until you actually try it. If you haven't tried it before, I say cardboard is a inexpensive way to see if it's something you even want to dabble in. Low risk/High reward if you do like it.
    09-28-2016 07:46 PM
    My experience has been that a cardboard headset is the perfect intro to VR. I've owned a couple (one for my old G2 and now one for my Nexus 6) and as a result I've been able to "dip my toes" so to speak and the results have been great! Being able to view pictures taken with apps like Cardboard Camera alone make it worth the price of one.
    10-13-2016 11:41 AM
    Google is doing a promotion with The Simpsons Halloween episode this year. They're giving out free viewers to the first 25k people who order them. I can't remember the website, but you should be able to search for it easily.
    10-13-2016 04:16 PM
    I love my homido headset - i love to watch movies on airplanes and using cmoar cinema takes with a good set of noise isolating earbuds takes me off of the airplane and puts me in a movie theater. I love my homido so much that I bought the homido version two a few weeks ago. I'm using it with a moto droid turbo 2 and it works really well. I have a bluetooth controller that I use for occasional game play. I'm wondering what advantage the new pixel phone/viewer will have over my cardboard gear? I haven't really seen this explained anywhere.
    10-13-2016 05:16 PM
    I like my Cardboard. Got it for free. I use it for YouTube videos mostly. I've tried some games and simulators and haven't really gotten into them. As long as you don't sit on it the Cardboard should hold up pretty well.
    10-13-2016 08:45 PM
    I have used google cardboard which really was bad. Now upgraded myself t one of the cheap vr headsets lenovo sells in India, since lenovo phones natively support VR by splitting entire screen phone into two screens, so every android app, movies inside , games installed all can be enjoyed in big vr.. which is by far I means best implementation of it. but lenovo phones are not the most powerful phones, so gaming is not the best, I tried my friends lenovo which is powerful and played asphalt n full gaprhics in the vr mode with bluetooth ctrler, it was terrific. My lenovo phones is not that powerful(its my mom's), but great to watch movies in vr
    10-13-2016 08:54 PM
    i didnt like google cardboard, try something like an antvr headset
    10-13-2016 08:55 PM
    So what is the next best VR headset above Google Cardboard?
    10-14-2016 03:06 AM
    so should i invest in a oculus or just vr viewers?
    10-14-2016 04:19 AM
    So which is the best VR under $30?
    10-15-2016 02:10 AM
    Google Cardboard is a good introduction to VR, inexpensive one, that is very important.
    10-15-2016 07:59 AM
    Through a Google tie-in promotion, I received a free Star Wars themed cardboard viewer. At the time, I used it with a Nexus 6. The experience was decent, but it seemed to me that the clear strategy behind Cardboard was primarily to seed interest in more advanced applications and devices. It's fine if you're a beginner, but I imagine you'll want something more robust in the long term.
    10-15-2016 09:13 AM
    I like Cardboard because you can use more Android devices on it than you could with Daydream. Not to mention it's very cheap.
    10-15-2016 10:57 AM
    I know am being over cautious, hope the Google vr doesn't cause any scratches to my phone (samsung galaxy s4) ?
    10-16-2016 08:27 AM
    That depends entirely on how well you treat them. Generally if you treat it well it can last quite a while. Mines been going strong for almost a year now. They get gross immediately though. Even the most normal amount of sweat or grease from your forehead will stay there forever.
    10-16-2016 12:52 PM
    Then I guess it's better to get a vr with plastic or metal body?
    10-17-2016 12:43 AM
    I agree with what's being said here on this thread. I got a Cardboard when they were doing the free Star Wars versions at Verizon stores. It was a really cool intro to VR, and I was showing everyone what it can do. Everyone was blown away by it, but I haven't really touched it for probably 10 months. This is mainly due to having to downgrade phones until my upgrade time, but I'm not sure I would have used it anyway. If I were interested in using VR consistently, I wouldn't use one of the basic Cardboard model; but if you're just going to be casually using it for fun, Cardboard is a great start.
    10-17-2016 10:33 AM
    Can anyone from India give their feedback about other locally available vr headsets here compared to Google VR?
    10-18-2016 01:21 AM
    No one from India??
    10-19-2016 01:54 AM
    Not from India, but I have the Mattel View Master and I really like it. I didn't realize it at first, but the front clear panel is removable which makes for better sound.
    10-20-2016 10:07 AM
    That depends entirely on how well you treat them. Generally if you treat it well it can last quite a while. Mines been going strong for almost a year now. They get gross immediately though. Even the most normal amount of sweat or grease from your forehead will stay there forever.
    The last design of Google Cardboard has a thin wax like layer on top of the material. From my experience it doesn't leave instant marks as the previous design.
    10-21-2016 12:04 AM
    The cardboard vr gives you a basic function of vr, but it not the same as oculus or vive.
    10-21-2016 08:35 AM
28 12