Just wondering on this. Is there a way with software to connect a "cardboard" device using a Off the shelf phone (LG G4 or iPhone 6S, or even Nokia ICON WP device) be connected to a PC to use for PC based games ? Sort of like a Oculus Rift...

I have one of those plastic (cheaper one) VR cases that fits my phone and I have watched a few videos and other stuff but, I wanted to know if I could do more with it like play PC games, or is it limited to just games and videos on the phone ?

Kind of always wondered this one, if I have the hardware to play a few PC games.....

Thanks in advance !
    12-22-2016 08:58 AM
    Just wondering on this. Is there a way with software to connect a "cardboard" device using a Off the shelf phone (LG G4 or iPhone 6S, or even Nokia ICON WP device) be connected to a PC to use for PC based games ? Sort of like a Oculus Rift...

I have one of those plastic (cheaper one) VR cases that fits my phone and I have watched a few videos and other stuff but, I wanted to know if I could do more with it like play PC games, or is it limited to just games and videos on the phone ?

Kind of always wondered this one, if I have the hardware to play a few PC games.....

Thanks in advance !
    OK, it's more likely like pkcable already said, but there are some options (I never tested and knew too little about) which claims great things like that you are asking for.

You can see it here:
    - Trinus VR Lite (Play your favourite PC games in virtual reality without the expensive hardware)
    - KinoVR (Turn your smartphone into PC VR headset)
    - VRIDGE Play PC virtual reality games on your mobile VR headset with VRidge.

There are some more, I don't actually think they worked as good as they claimed, but there is always the need to try if you have the time, hardware and money (not free).

The reason it's too difficult to transmit the amount of data needed in the short time required (20ms or less) of all sensors, also the most powerful phone right now is not as powerful as the average Graphics Card for VR, and for VR you need to render the 360 video in order to have a fluid feeling while moving the headset.
    Not at this time. It's possible someone will make a program that does this. HOWEVER it's much more likely that if this were to happen it would be with the GearVR or the Google Daydream View, and NOT they cardboard. But who knows. At this time no such software exists.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    12-22-2016 10:55 AM
    Not at this time. It's possible someone will make a program that does this. HOWEVER it's much more likely that if this were to happen it would be with the GearVR or the Google Daydream View, and NOT they cardboard. But who knows. At this time no such software exists.
    Thanks as I am a total noob here, Isn't daydream view just a new viewfinder with a phone ?

Mine is not carboard, it's plastic but, this site says it's the same thing...

Although it's neat but, I think I would like to use it in gaming but, not willing to spend $600+ on this tech..
    12-22-2016 11:28 AM
    Thanks as I am a total noob here, Isn't daydream view just a new viewfinder with a phone ?

Mine is not carboard, it's plastic but, this site says it's the same thing...

Although it's neat but, I think I would like to use it in gaming but, not willing to spend $600+ on this tech..
    Daydream is much more similar to the GearVR, it's more advanced than the Cardboard, but still not as advanced as the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive (or PlayStation VR). What you have is a little bit better made "cardboard" The plastic "cardboard" units are a bit more durable, plus often have head straps which made them MUCH more comfortable to use. What you have is a fine start! Make sure to check out Jaunt VR, and Full Dive.
    12-22-2016 12:21 PM
    Check out this thread, it's about an upcoming headset that bridges the gap between phone based units and the computer based units....

http://forums.vrheads.com/vr-news-di...494/#post60285
    12-22-2016 01:04 PM

Thanks in advance !
    OK, it's more likely like pkcable already said, but there are some options (I never tested and knew too little about) which claims great things like that you are asking for.

You can see it here:
    - Trinus VR Lite (Play your favourite PC games in virtual reality without the expensive hardware)
    - KinoVR (Turn your smartphone into PC VR headset)
    - VRIDGE Play PC virtual reality games on your mobile VR headset with VRidge.

There are some more, I don't actually think they worked as good as they claimed, but there is always the need to try if you have the time, hardware and money (not free).

The reason it's too difficult to transmit the amount of data needed in the short time required (20ms or less) of all sensors, also the most powerful phone right now is not as powerful as the average Graphics Card for VR, and for VR you need to render the 360 video in order to have a fluid feeling while moving the headset.
    pkcable likes this.
    12-23-2016 11:58 AM
    I actually tried these very neat but take a bit of rigging and slightly laggy/low fps. Just didn't quite work to point where it was ideal, bit stuttery/freeze from updating screen but was neat experience. I didnt get much productive out of it though lol. Hopefully someone else can.
    pkcable likes this.
    12-30-2016 08:22 PM
    So it works, but the experience is less than ideal?
    01-03-2017 11:27 AM
    So it works, but the experience is less than ideal?
    That's been my take on it, yes. It's not as good as a native Gear/Cardboard app would be and definitely not as good as using an actual Rift or Vive. If you have a strong stomach, though, and are determined, it's probably worth it.
    01-07-2017 05:35 AM