I really applaud Google for going out and trying to establish a set of guidelines and specs for VR devices, but with a bunch of major players already building VR ecosystems, I wonder how quickly they'll get everyone to adopt it? LG... they'll be on board as they have a pretty good working relationship with Google.. Huawei's getting into the fray... again, there's some recent history and their's is pretty young. Samsung's a bit of a wildcard. They have this love/hate relationship with Google and Android and have a history of going off and doing their own thing.

How quickly, do you think, OEMs are going to get on board?
    05-26-2016 08:39 AM
    Hopefully faster than everyone anticipates. The tools are practically handed to them, they just need to adopt it. Phil and the others were commenting that in the I/O podcast last week.
    05-26-2016 08:52 AM
    I really applaud Google for going out and trying to establish a set of guidelines and specs for VR devices, but with a bunch of major players already building VR ecosystems, I wonder how quickly they'll get everyone to adopt it?
    I agree. But I wonder if the hardware/firmware/whateverware is ready for a big push into smartphone-based VR. An Ars Technica article I read yesterday about an upcoming CPU + GPU from Qualcomm left me thinking that I should start saving up now for 2017 devices and just watch from the sidelines this fall to see which OEMs are in by year's end and who comes out on top. I get that the shoe's got to drop sometime, but with or without Daydream, it still seems like early-adopters-only time to me.
    06-01-2016 03:20 PM
    I think being a technology with a lot of field to develop should be regulated by an organization not related with the business, because Oculus es from Facebook, Samsung is an Oculus partner, HTC is "friend" of Steam and none of them are very related with Google in order to follow the rules, but if the market uses the Google's rules, that way there is a chance to finally get some VR devices at good prices and compatible with each other, software and hardware.
    09-11-2016 02:05 PM
    VR devices are pretty much proprietary... Designed primarily to push sales of other devices of that company or to Increase consumption of their media content. They also are being used to lock customers to a company's ecosystem... Just look at the Playstation VR... It is an extension of the Playstation console and will further entrench the user into Sony's gaming ecosystem..
    10-19-2016 06:35 AM