What was your first virtual or augmented reality experience like!?

For me, it was (believe it or not) the Microsoft HoloLens where I first experienced AR (hadn't experienced VR yet). Was pretty cool. Strapped it on, and next thing you know I'm shooting monsters breaking out of the walls around me. Then I took a Skype call.

Oh, the technology
    04-24-2017 08:49 AM
    Did not own, but tried Google Project Glass at Talk Mobile 2013. THAT was my experience with AR. And of course app for the phone that are AR like, allowing you you point the camera and then see info about the world around you. I see much potential with AR, but nothing that really grabbed me as of yet. HOWEVER, I totally feel in love with VR when I got my Google Daydream. I had of course had and tried a Google cardboard and that was nice, BUT the Daydream View brings it to a whole new level! Games, videos, etc come to life! And eh hem adult entertainment, well, lets just say, has been entertaining! lol
    04-24-2017 09:56 AM
    Cardboard for me. I started of with the demos provided by the Google Cardboard app. After, I began looking up new apps for Cardboard and to date the Bohemian Rhapsody VR experience has been my favorite one to date.
    04-26-2017 06:19 AM
    We may already be living in a hologram but my personal first experience with anything VR was the infamous VirtualBoy by Nintendo. It may have had only 2 colors (red/black) which reminds me of the black/grey of the original GameBoy I once owned but I still liked the fact that Nintendo at least tried even if a few years too early. Had they continued making games for it I would have had figured out a way to strap it to my head because having to use a table or wreck your neck with the stand on your chest had gotten old real fast. If I'm not mistaken the VirtualBoy had a 32-bit processor similar to what are in PlayStations and I had felt there was a lot of potential in the device but I had to wait over 20 years for something in color and cooler.

Next there was the display at the Rivercenter Mall in San Antonio in 1999 I jumped on during the town pass from boot camp. It was okay and featured something that looked almost like a crotch rocket but not exactly something worth writing home about. Much like the ones I've seen in several malls where they re-purposed the shuttle craft looking theaters fitted with hydraulics by adding 3D glasses.

I got my Gear VR over a year ago and while I was amazed I didn't really feel like using it until recently because of the touchpad. Actually, what peaked my interest was the Rick and Morty VR experience but unfortunately I don't have an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. I do however have a decent PC so I'm hoping all I really need is a Rift and Touch and I'd be set. I just picked up the Samsung controller yesterday and a gamepad today but I have barely used them yet because of work and the difficulty (so far) of doing anything else while wearing the VR headset.

Does anybody recall the headsets sold for PlayStation and PC back in the late 90's? They seemed a little too good to be true ($60-200) and I didn't have that kind of cash to throw around especially back in high school or right after. I think it was supposed to have been more than just a single screen a few inches from your eyeballs and perhaps had 2 separate screens or lenses. I used to see them at a store in the Rushmore Mall that eventually became a GameStop every time I had hung out there long before they stopped selling PC components.
    05-22-2017 12:06 AM
    Does anybody recall the headsets sold for PlayStation and PC back in the late 90's? They seemed a little too good to be true ($60-200) and I didn't have that kind of cash to throw around especially back in high school or right after. I think it was supposed to have been more than just a single screen a few inches from your eyeballs and perhaps had 2 separate screens or lenses. I used to see them at a store in the Rushmore Mall that eventually became a GameStop every time I had hung out there long before they stopped selling PC components.
    I only remember the Nintendo VR. Or do you mean that console flop 3DO?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO_In...ve_Multiplayer
    05-22-2017 01:00 PM
    No, these were accessories or peripherals for PC, PS, and may have been before the Xbox was ever released.
    05-22-2017 01:57 PM
    There was this mall arcade setup that had a demo station for Quake in VR, maybe 15 years ago. It was AWFUL. I had a headache for three hours after playing for ten minutes, and the head tracking didn't sync up very well.
    pkcable likes this.
    05-22-2017 02:20 PM
    There was this mall arcade setup that had a demo station for Quake in VR, maybe 15 years ago. It was AWFUL. I had a headache for three hours after playing for ten minutes, and the head tracking didn't sync up very well.
    I'm certainly old enough to remember (51) but I don't! lol
    05-22-2017 03:46 PM
    i used it in google street view. it was like being a bird and flying to whatever place i want and going from one point to another with the speed of light.
    07-12-2017 03:50 PM
    Haven't gotten the chance to experience the vr yet
    07-12-2017 09:24 PM
    Feeling pleasantly surprised. But after three times I no longer use it.
    07-14-2017 04:55 AM
    My only experience has been with Google Cardboard and my OnePlus phone. The experience was too nauseating for me. I'm hoping to give it a try one day with a much better system when the prices come down. It will be hard for me to waste money on anything though after the first try. I've gone back to it a few times with the same result. Maybe I can try something better out in a store one day.
    08-08-2017 10:57 AM
    As of now my first experience was with the Xiaomi VR not satisfied with the video quality althuogh i feel comfort with entry Vr games & presonally i cant afford to bu the high range of VR like Samsung Gear OR Google Dream. So, please suggest me a good VR should perform well in all departments of affordable range.
    08-14-2017 03:44 AM