With the VR headsets, how much to you actually see? Is there any obstruction with side vision? Like if I am looking forward but do like a side-eye look, will I see what's on the side of me or just the inside of the headpiece?
    05-27-2016 12:29 PM
    Most of the headsets are kind of like looking through goggles They range anywhere form 80 degrees to 160 degrees, where looks almost like a full range of motion. When I use OSVR/Rift/Vive, its kind of like a scuba mask - you don't really notice you have any reduced vision, but there is some there at the edges of the vew
    Lloyd Summers | Cofounder of RedIronLabs.com | Immersive Dark Videogames (VR/Horror) | @kerm_ed
    Most of the headsets are kind of like looking through goggles They range anywhere form 80 degrees to 160 degrees, where looks almost like a full range of motion. When I use OSVR/Rift/Vive, its kind of like a scuba mask - you don't really notice you have any reduced vision, but there is some there at the edges of the vew
    Lloyd Summers | Cofounder of RedIronLabs.com | Immersive Dark Videogames (VR/Horror) | @kerm_ed
    LezCronut likes this.
    05-27-2016 02:04 PM
    Physically speaking, this also depends on the headset and the fit. If no light is getting through any gaps, you likely won't be able to make anything but the screen (and maybe some of the mask material) out.

What's really interesting about this is that it seems that when light is added to the periphery that matches what's being displayed, nausea is reduced. Keep in mind that the "resolution" of human vision is reduced (and the light sensitivity is higher) at the edges. Some of the VR companies are thinking about putting leds or something around the screen and inside the headset that would provide some ambient light.
    07-15-2016 07:15 AM
    I have the Vive, and I've noticed that the answer to that question is both physical and software based. When viewing movies or my computer desktop or pictures, I've noticed there is a sweet spot of about 60-70 degrees where everything is sharp, and as you get toward the edges, it starts to blur a little. Interestingly, on things that are designed for VR or 360 video, that is MUCH less noticeable. So I am guessing in actual VR clips/screens there is some adjustment that takes the distortion from the lenses magnifying the image into account and makes it appear sharp through everything that you are looking at.
    LezCronut likes this.
    08-11-2016 02:03 PM
    UPDATE: they are getting better. The new Gear VR headset that has support for the Note 7 widened their FOV from 93 degrees to almost 110 degrees.
    LezCronut likes this.
    08-14-2016 01:52 PM
    I had an experience with Gear and looks pretty good. I am nor a VR fan but with right phone and VR and it can get good
    10-22-2016 10:08 PM