A little bit ago, I purchased a VR headset from Amazon on a daily deal. It was delivered about 20 minutes before I went on a family vacation. I was using my Nextbit Robin and I had a couple of observations.

First of all, it's awesome. I can't really get behind any of the 'games' at this point since they are either very abbreviated or pretty glitchy. I did find one escape game that was pretty cool. But if you take out the controls, the experiences are great. The kids loved it. The adults loved it but were freaked out a bit. It was a lot of fun to send family members on rollercoasters and dino explorations.

One thing is that orientation drift is real. I hope they fix that.

Also, horror things are horrible. Haha, the full immersion is pretty exhausting. I don't do well with scary, so take that with a grain of salt if you enjoy that kind of stuff. I didn't.

And the VR pictures are awesome. I don't know how they did it, but they work very well. I took a quick one of the cabin we were staying in and it worked incredibly well considering it was a single, nothing-to-write-home-about, camera I was using to take full 360 images with real depth.

VR headsets look goofy to everyone else. That's another thing I've learned.
    05-25-2016 11:29 AM
    Google cardboard is a good way to enter the VR world. It doesn't require the investment of say an Oculus Rift, or HTC Vibe, which are hundreds of dollars. Catch a cardboard on sale and they can be had for around 10 dollars!
    krisguy and LezCronut like this.
    05-25-2016 08:10 PM
    I bought the ViewMaster on sale at BBY for 17.99. Well built and the AR add on packs are cool too.
    06-16-2016 02:28 PM
    im going too to buy some cheap VR to try it, PC VR headsets are expensive for me atm
    07-29-2016 07:49 AM
    im going too to buy some cheap VR to try it, PC VR headsets are expensive for me atm
    There are so many options. Google sells a bunch. Amazon has tons. In fact, Conan on TBS gave out more cardboard viewers for their Comic-Con coverage for free.
    07-30-2016 10:41 PM
    Got my hands on cardboard, Vridge and leap motion. For now i can enjoy free steam content for htc on my phone. It is awesome. Though it's not the easiest to play anything, but I believe its cheapest way to enjoy vr games, since I already had the computer.
    09-02-2016 02:17 AM
    Google cardboard convinced me to get a higher end VR headset. I wasn't really sure I wanted to play VR games, so I tried google cardboard. Somewhere after 10-20 minutes I was sold and knew I had to get one for PC or console.
    09-10-2016 08:10 PM
    My wife and I tried the Google Cardboard a few months back. I thought it was awesome and fully expected her to think it was lame. To my surprise, she watched a video about the ocean and played with it for 15 mins. before she started getting dizzy. I think it'll be pretty easy to convince her that the HTC Vive is the next logical choice haha
    09-12-2016 11:21 AM
    Several months ago I purchased a Google Cardboard viewer and downloaded several apps to try it out. I can't get over the feeling of nausea. I've tried to come back to it a few times with the same result. After just a few minutes of wearing it I have to take it off. I see the excitement and potential of the interface. I just hope the the experience on the more expensive or future viewers resolves my issue.
    10-13-2016 02:05 PM
    Several months ago I purchased a Google Cardboard viewer and downloaded several apps to try it out. I can't get over the feeling of nausea. I've tried to come back to it a few times with the same result. After just a few minutes of wearing it I have to take it off. I see the excitement and potential of the interface. I just hope the the experience on the more expensive or future viewers resolves my issue.
    Rick, as you go up in price, the power more than makes up for the jitter. My dad gets motion sickness and he can use my Vive okay, but my Gear or Cardboard is no go.
    10-13-2016 02:30 PM
    Good to hear. I will remain hopeful until i can get to try one of these out. Any idea if Googles new VR Day Dream platform will be any better?
    10-13-2016 04:58 PM
    I sure hope so! I suppose it depends on what specific sensors those phones have to make them Daydream-compatible... Maybe someone else here knows more about the technical specs?
    10-13-2016 05:48 PM
    I tried it once, but didn't like it. The lenses were very bad, I got headache.
    10-14-2016 12:41 AM
    Same here
    10-16-2016 12:21 AM
    Got a headache too, OnePlus Loop VR, and OnePlus One
    10-17-2016 03:17 AM
    Got a free cardboard for the Simpsons promotion last night. Not bad.
    10-17-2016 11:32 AM
    My VR experience consisted of me jumping up to better versions. The first of which was obviously the first Google Cardboard. It was great and was neat for my friends to try out and look at stuff in 360, but I could tell they weren't as much of VR fanatics as I was.
    After failing to retro fit the lenses in cardboard into the I/O 2016 version, I just ordered the new version and called it a day. The bigger lenses were much better and the headset was a little more comfortable (but still uncomfortable).
    Eventually, I bought a $10 VR headset from Toys-R-Us, which was much better since it had head straps and foam on the front, allowing me to use a controller to play some games for quite a bit of time. But something was still missing for me. I really wanted that wide FOV that made me feel immersed.
    And so I got the "i-FX" or "VR Box" (it goes by many names but they're all the same thing) and the FOV was a little better (emphasis on little). Although the headset was much more comfortable and allowed me to adjust my PD and focal distance.
    I finally decided to do my research to find the mobile vr headset with the best FOV (not including Gear VR obviously), and I came across the BoboVR Z4 which boasted 120 degree FOV as long as you have a 5.5" phone. I have a 5.2" but I was very willing to try it. After I got it I found that it was just as comfortable as the VR Box and had the same adjustments. Getting my phone in there was simpler than the other headsets and it does have a great FOV. I may not be getting 120 degrees but I'm sure I'm getting atleast 110. And pixel density is not a problem.
    Now that I've experienced an enjoyable FOV in VR, my next step up will be low latency, which is why I have to wait until I can get my hands on the Pixel XL and Daydream.
    10-18-2016 10:17 AM
    I love the cardboard VR! My high school had a bunch of cardboard headsets with zenfones in them for a day, and everyone loved it. We visited tons of historic places and even mount everest. Definately one of the coolest things ive ever experienced.
    LezCronut likes this.
    10-18-2016 07:53 PM
    I tried Google CardBoard for the first about a week ago, I was really impressed. I wish I jumped on the band wagon sooner. I will be looking for a better headset but CardBoard is the best place to start on the VR road.
    10-18-2016 08:11 PM
    My first experience was with cardboard. Then we brought a group to work to demo rift and a few others. We are looking into using them for training potentially.
    10-23-2016 06:22 AM
    Google cardboard is a good way to enter the VR world. It doesn't require the investment of say an Oculus Rift, or HTC Vibe, which are hundreds of dollars. Catch a cardboard on sale and they can be had for around 10 dollars!
    In my country, Cardboard costs $2
    pkcable likes this.
    10-24-2016 09:32 AM
    I love the cardboard VR! My high school had a bunch of cardboard headsets with zenfones in them for a day, and everyone loved it. We visited tons of historic places and even mount everest. Definately one of the coolest things ive ever experienced.
    Oh my... Education nowadays! So cool. There was no such thing as VR back when I was in school. Let alone tablet nor iPhone.
    10-24-2016 11:05 AM
    I have to agree that although the tech in something simple like Google Cardboard is cool, difficulty in interacting with the software is perhaps is main draw back, and something that other headsets (PC VR headsets and something like Samsung VR/Daydream VR) do better with some level of control. Also, my first experience was on a 720p phone with ~250 ppi, so pixelation was an issue and made the experience much less immersive.
    10-25-2016 01:30 PM
    I get one of this for free when the star wars movie comes out and i LOVE IT. i cant wait to get my hands on my daydream one arrive
    10-26-2016 03:27 PM
    I enjoyed cardboard, super cheap, easy to put together, and a good first step into vr. Without any controls, and no strap, its not the best, but its a good way to motivate your interest.
    10-26-2016 07:48 PM
31 12