Hi. I haven't much information about Daydream platform so I wonder if it is just a minimum hardware requirements, any software embedded in the O.S. or even a specific hardware built in the phones.

Google is way ahead Apple in terms of VR and it has a great opportunity to create a standard that can be followed by any platform to make mobile VR grow. The thing is Google Cardboard standard has had great success in iOS platform. It would be great if Daydream was just a hardware requirement, frameworks and design guidelines so developers will be able to make VR apps and sell it on all stores available.
    09-10-2016 03:43 AM
    I would have to assume that there would be some Android level controls in the Daydream platform that Apple would not allow with its current API structure.

Also, welcome to VRHeads! Thanks for registering and please keep asking more questions.
    09-11-2016 10:17 AM
    Daydream has APIs built into Android, from what I understand. That's not to say that Google couldn't have an app for iOS, but I don't expect Apple to make a compatible headset. Maybe someone else could?

As for the phone hardware, there will be hardware requirements that OEMs will need to meet, and they'll also need to meet the specs for the headset and remote.

Looking forward to trying it! As a Samsung Gear VR fan, it will be interesting to compare. It would be awesome if future Samsung phones were capable of both Gear VR and Daydream.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    09-11-2016 07:40 PM
    Well, if it were just a question of APIs and hardware requirements then there is a reasonable chance to expect daydream on iOS someday. There is cardboard frameworks for iOS and Unity so Google may offer official support in a future if they want. My concern is that there is a specific chip embedded in daydream compatible devices or something like that. If not, there is hope.
    I really want Apple comes out with their own solution but I don't see that happening soon. You know Apple doesn't try to be the first, but the best, I'm afraid mobile VR isn't mature enough for Apple standards
    09-12-2016 03:17 AM
    Apple will do what they always do: They'll wait for other companies to the do the real innovative work and come up with new ideas. Then Apple will add one feature and act as though they invented the entire concept. I was so happy when Apple invented bluetooth headphones last week!
    krisguy and Chemy JMHT like this.
    09-12-2016 09:14 AM
    Guys, is the daydream VR works with every Android phones or only with compatible devices?
    10-13-2016 12:35 PM
    Was wondering what it takes in a phone for it to be Daydream compatible..I have an OP3 and found out that it was not..So why is it not?
    10-13-2016 12:42 PM
    I don't have much idea about daydream. But maybe it is possible. I saw somewhere it was possible to run Android on an iPhone.
    10-14-2016 03:00 AM
    if samsung S6 Flat are compatible with Google Daydream ?
    10-14-2016 09:23 PM
    Guys, is the daydream VR works with every Android phones or only with compatible devices?
    So far only compatible devices, and that means only Pixel and Pixel XL yet.

Neither Samsung or other companies have compatible devices so far.

We all hope more devices fills that list of compatibles devices but if it's difficult for Android I think will be harder for Apple.
    10-14-2016 10:05 PM
    Is the screen resolution the only parameter for device to be compatible? There must be more factors here I think, else a lot of the current phones should be compatible as well... Regarding the iPhone being compatible, I think next year's model will have upgraded screen resolution and ppi, so higher chances of compatibility...
    10-16-2016 12:43 AM
    Hi. I haven't much information about Daydream platform so I wonder if it is just a minimum hardware requirements, any software embedded in the O.S. or even a specific hardware built in the phones.

Google is way ahead Apple in terms of VR and it has a great opportunity to create a standard that can be followed by any platform to make mobile VR grow. The thing is Google Cardboard standard has had great success in iOS platform. It would be great if Daydream was just a hardware requirement, frameworks and design guidelines so developers will be able to make VR apps and sell it on all stores available.
    That is a good suggestion or idea but they are two different companies actually competing for profit so that may never happen
    10-20-2016 05:59 PM
    The only way it will ever be compatible with any iPhone someday is if both Google and Apple would make a ton of money off it. Since Apple won't don't hold your breath.
    10-24-2016 12:27 AM
    The only way it will ever be compatible with any iPhone someday is if both Google and Apple would make a ton of money off it. Since Apple won't don't hold your breath.
    Teaming up of android and iPhone will never happen. As competition breeds more enthusiasm in fans or clients and profits for the two brands in this case.
    10-24-2016 02:47 AM