Folks,

I'm not sure if I titled that right! Because I certainly would not try this on ANY Android phone. Certainly not a Samsung Galaxy Grand or LG K7 for example or ANY lower end Android. There are several prerequisites for this to work. Must be 7.0 OS, must have root, need to probably sideload daydream and Google VR services, need to install root explorer app. Also the process itself is a bit technical, HOWEVER if you can follow instructions you can most likely do it. I would NOT try this unless your phone is close to the Daydream specs. I MIGHT try it on my Mate 9, which did not make the cut due to it's LCD screen, BUT otherwise has the specs. I'm trying to decide if I want to root or not.

Anyways the instructions are in this blog by VRHeads' Edition Russell Holly. Thanks Russell!

Rich
    02-02-2017 11:00 AM
    Wow I read the blog and that's a lot of work to get the Daydream working, hopefully more will be released for those new devices which are around getting Mediatek CPUs and stuff like that, some have great specs but that's it!

Thanks for sharing man!
    08-25-2017 07:53 PM
    How to make any Android Smartphone Daydream-Ready:
    You will need a Rooted Smartphone running Android 7.0 Nougat, Google VR Services, and the Daydream app. It also requires a compatible Daydream viewer and controller ( You can use a Cardboard viewer with the controller emulator running on any other device).
    Using a root explorer app, navigate to "/system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml"
    Inside the file is the list of permissions, formatted as XML and nicely commented.

Add the following lines into the root permissions tag-
    <feature name="android.software.vr.mode" /> <feature name="android.hardware.vr.high_performance" />
    Reboot your device and You should be able to launch Daydream from the app.
    10-18-2017 05:34 AM
    How to make any Android Smartphone Daydream-Ready:
    You will need a Rooted Smartphone running Android 7.0 Nougat, Google VR Services, and the Daydream app. It also requires a compatible Daydream viewer and controller ( You can use a Cardboard viewer with the controller emulator running on any other device).
    Using a root explorer app, navigate to "/system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml"
    Inside the file is the list of permissions, formatted as XML and nicely commented.

Add the following lines into the root permissions tag-
    <feature name="android.software.vr.mode" /> <feature name="android.hardware.vr.high_performance" />
    Reboot your device and You should be able to launch Daydream from the app.
    Looks easier putted this way, but are indeed a lot of steps, thanks for sharing
    11-25-2017 01:01 PM