Folks,

Good News Everyone! As of today provided you have the latest update for your S8/S8+ you can now get Google Daydream View! Oddly not all of the app were available for me. Perhaps there are licensing issues with Oculus? Notable absences Next VR, MLB.tv, and the HBO apps! (Many games are missing too)

In any event VRHeads Editor @Russell Holly wrote a blog explaining how to get the app on your device and set it up..

https://www.vrheads.com/how-use-goog...ream-galaxy-s8

Rich
    Firegold21 likes this.
    08-01-2017 07:09 PM
    Interesting. Now Samsung devices price with a couple of options. PSVR next? j/k 🤣
    pkcable likes this.
    08-01-2017 10:30 PM
    Cool to hear if there are any advantages for a S8 owner to use Daydream over Gear VR. That said, do people really spend much time watching video in VR?
    pkcable likes this.
    08-01-2017 10:36 PM
    Cool to hear if there are any advantages for a S8 owner to use Daydream over Gear VR. That said, do people really spend much time watching video in VR?
    Certain types
    08-01-2017 11:34 PM
    Tonight, providing I can find the apk(s) I will try sideloading some of the missing apps on my S8.
    08-02-2017 09:20 AM
    Check the Daydream App Store on your S8 today!....
    Attached Thumbnails PSA: Daydream now available on Samsung S8/S8+-img_0121.jpg  
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    08-02-2017 09:43 AM
    Ok found 2 apps that don't work or rather that direct you to use your GearVR, that is NextVR and LittleStar VR. I'm not sure what will happen to those who don't have a Gear VR with those apps.
    08-03-2017 11:23 AM
    It sounds like it might still be a work in progress. Did you find any reason it is better than GearVR?
    08-03-2017 09:09 PM
    It sounds like it might still be a work in progress. Did you find any reason it is better than GearVR?
    The jury is still out on that, BUT the Daydream is definitely more comfortable to wear, but I think I prefer the Oculus Home interface, NOT that I don't have complaints about it though.
    08-03-2017 11:16 PM
    I have huge problems. My daydream app constantly restarts ending with put you phone in... or even exits back to Android home screen.

Sometimes I can use it start some VR app for a couple of minutes sometimes its seconds or app not even starting.

Sometimes tutorial works fine and next time it just restarts.

No Idea what to try.

Have uninstalled both Google VR updates as well as the daydream app. I have tried clearing data/cache. Reinstalled everything. Even unpaired in Bluetooth settings.

I sideloaded the apk before it was available on play store and then updated. Did this break something?

I'm so sad
    Got my dreamviewer yesterday and was so excited. Now it's totally useless.
    08-05-2017 01:48 PM
    I have huge problems. My daydream app constantly restarts ending with put you phone in... or even exits back to Android home screen.

Sometimes I can use it start some VR app for a couple of minutes sometimes its seconds or app not even starting.

Sometimes tutorial works fine and next time it just restarts.

No Idea what to try.

Have uninstalled both Google VR updates as well as the daydream app. I have tried clearing data/cache. Reinstalled everything. Even unpaired in Bluetooth settings.

I sideloaded the apk before it was available on play store and then updated. Did this break something?

I'm so sad
    Got my dreamviewer yesterday and was so excited. Now it's totally useless.
    Ok mine works flawlessly, so it does work. Are you sure your on the latest S8 software? You've already done the deleting and reinstalling and data/cache clearing I would have suggested also. Maybe it's time to factory reset the phone?
    08-05-2017 10:52 PM
    Ok mine works flawlessly, so it does work. Are you sure your on the latest S8 software? You've already done the deleting and reinstalling and data/cache clearing I would have suggested also. Maybe it's time to factory reset the phone?
    Version ending with 1AQG5 so think it's latest.

I have considered factory reset but so boring setting everything up again.

Guess I need to try since I have not read about anyone else having problems.
    08-06-2017 03:46 AM
    Version ending with 1AQG5 so think it's latest.

I have considered factory reset but so boring setting everything up again.

Guess I need to try since I have not read about anyone else having problems.
    Ok. Tried factory reset. Only installed daydream. Still same problems.

Spotlight however works fine if I turn off nfc and run in cardboard mode. So it seems to be something with the graphics driver/implementation of daydream that doesn't work with my brand new s8 (my second s8, this one from june).

Is it somethings with European s8 version that is the problem? Guess not that many European s8 owners have tried it since you need to import the daydream viewer.
    08-06-2017 01:30 PM
    Could be the equinox (am I saying that right?) chip is not supported?
    08-06-2017 02:03 PM
    Could be the equinox (am I saying that right?) chip is not supported?
    No idea. But I have finally found other people with exact same problem as me on Reddit.

So it's not my phone that's broken and probably future updates will help.
    08-06-2017 02:45 PM
    IF you find the solution please post it up here. Make a new thread for it. This way we'll have the solution for others who are looking for info on the same problem.
    Johan Sandberg likes this.
    08-06-2017 08:44 PM
    @Johan Sandberg my Daydream, Google VR Services and Daydream Keyboard apps all updated today. Maybe try getting that update and cross your fingers!
    08-07-2017 12:56 PM
    @Johan Sandberg my Daydream, Google VR Services and Daydream Keyboard apps all updated today. Maybe try getting that update and cross your fingers!
    Thanks for tip. Google VR updated yesterday and manually updated daydream and keyboard today. Unfortunately not much of a difference.
    08-07-2017 02:16 PM
    Fantastic! Thank you for the information.
    pkcable likes this.
    08-08-2017 10:32 AM
    Is Daydream available on the AT&T GS8 yet? I cannot seem to find it anywhere. If not, does anyone have an idea when it may be? Thanks
    08-16-2017 10:10 PM
    Is Daydream available on the AT&T GS8 yet? I cannot seem to find it anywhere. If not, does anyone have an idea when it may be? Thanks
    Sadly no, not AT&T yet.
    thehoz likes this.
    08-16-2017 10:41 PM
    Sadly no, not AT&T yet.
    Do you know of any ETA?
    08-16-2017 10:48 PM
    IF you find the solution please post it up here. Make a new thread for it. This way we'll have the solution for others who are looking for info on the same problem.
    A bit closer to the solution. Thanks to a user on reddit who said it works if you start it without the headset. Flick the phone until it starts goggle mode. Then it works without problems (it seems). Even tried it with my old cardboard and controller. Works. As soon as nfc tag from daydream viewer is read it seems to start crashing. Even when used outside daydream viewer (after nfc is read).

What kind of information is stored in the nfc that makes it crash? Anything about update frequency / resolution etc?
    08-17-2017 04:07 AM
    A bit closer to the solution. Thanks to a user on reddit who said it works if you start it without the headset. Flick the phone until it starts goggle mode. Then it works without problems (it seems). Even tried it with my old cardboard and controller. Works. As soon as nfc tag from daydream viewer is read it seems to start crashing. Even when used outside daydream viewer (after nfc is read).

What kind of information is stored in the nfc that makes it crash? Anything about update frequency / resolution etc?
    I know MUCH less about the technical side of things BUT I do know a couple programmers that are regulars here, @EgoAnt & @KermEd who MIGHT know the answer.
    08-17-2017 08:13 AM
    Do you know of any ETA?
    The problem with AT&T and Verizon too is that they HATE doing OS updates, OS updates cause support calls, and support calls cost them money. They don't like that. NOW, they DO have to do it, BUT they try to mitigate the damage by delaying updates and "vetting" (that is testing, approving, checking etc) BEFORE they release them, and sometimes they skip an update. Now they won't skip this, BUT they will make sure it's not gonna cause any/many problems before they release it.

I have no clue about a timeframe, sorry.
    thehoz likes this.
    08-17-2017 08:17 AM
35 12