Folks,

I was reading this blog, by Russell Holly on the VRHeads front page about the requirements to make a phone Daydream ready. They mentioned Huawei and the Mate 9 series. The Mate 9 is not daydream ready, but it's more powerful siblings, the Mate 9 Pro and Mate 9 Porsche Edition ARE. The main reason is the lack of an OLED display in the regular Mate 9.

Well reading that blog we come to THIS line which gives me SOME (just a little) hope that maybe, JUST maybe we WILL see Daydream support in the Mate 9....

We're working with Huawei and other to see if there are solutions outside of OLED that would work."
    Also the Android community if rife with developers, hobbyist, (dare I say) hackers, etc who I have no doubt will look at the problem and can perhaps find a way to get the Mate 9 Pro/Porsche support "hacked" in to the Mate 9. I'm not going to hold my breath, BUT I'm NOT without hope!

What do you all think?
    01-11-2017 08:11 AM
    It's not difficult to force Daydream support on any Android phone, but those experiences will not meet the quality threshold Google has put in place for Daydream. Frames will drop, motion blur will happen, audio sync issues will exist. That's why Google put these hardware requirements in place to begin with.

The big thing for Daydream, as you see from that interview, is guaranteeing a photon-to-motion speed. Android hardware hackers overvolting a CPU aren't going to fix that on LCD screens.
    01-11-2017 08:31 AM
    It's not difficult to force Daydream support on any Android phone, but those experiences will not meet the quality threshold Google has put in place for Daydream. Frames will drop, motion blur will happen, audio sync issues will exist. That's why Google put these hardware requirements in place to begin with.

The big thing for Daydream, as you see from that interview, is guaranteeing a photon-to-motion speed. Android hardware hackers overvolting a CPU aren't going to fix that on LCD screens.
    Hopefully google can come up with a solution!
    01-11-2017 02:14 PM
    I'm sure they will, but probably not before the Mate 9 is considered EOL.
    01-12-2017 07:52 AM
    I'm sure they will, but probably not before the Mate 9 is considered EOL.
    Dream crusher! lol
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    01-12-2017 11:13 AM
    Dream crusher! lol
    Before buying next time first check the https://vr.google.com/daydream/phone...m-ready-phones web :P

I know a few who bought the Moto Z Play because "the Moto Z series will be Daydream compatible" and now are selling it.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-16-2017 12:24 PM
    I was really happy to see the Axon 7 having DayDream capabilities. It allows for a relatively cheap entry into the DayDream world. The more 'cheaper' phone we have that support it the better! Just a pity you need a pretty good screen with 3ms or less latency and a good processor to run DayDream. The Bluetooth 4.2 requirement is also relatively new, 4.1 is much more common on devices.
    01-27-2017 05:27 AM