Folks,

Just wanted to give some initial thoughts about the Daydream View I just received from Google. I do really like this thing, but I did want to go over some pluses and minuses about the device, and compare it to my experience with the Google Cardboard type device, the Mattel View-MasterVR. I will start with what I like about the device, then go over what I didn't like and then finally I will compare it to the View-MasterVR.

First off, I really like the build quality, fit and feel of the device. While maybe not as sturdy as hard plastic or some metallic devices, the cloth and plastic parts seems solid, while also being soft and comfortable. This thing was a joy to wear! It has some sort of soft memory foam like padding where the device meets your face. My glasses fit, on my face, comfortably within the device. Viewing movies, watching episodic TV on Hulu was superb. It was almost like have a super big TV or being AT the movies. 360 videos were AMAZING! Games were fun too.

I do have a few negatives. Setup WAS a little (I hesitate to say difficult) less than smooth. Centering the device view and cursor do not work as well as they should, IMHO. For example I could not center my view while lying on my side. This MAY be by design, BUT I don't have to like it. While I have no doubt that app selection will improve over time and there ARE a few gems, Hulu, Within, YouTubeVR to name just a few, app selection is pathetic! VR is a battery killer. (probably not unique to Daydream)

Lastly comparing it to View-MasterVR. Well honestly there is no comparison. Even with my negatives, the Daydream is far superior. I GUESS you have to say View-MasterVR (and Google Cardboard) has more apps, BUT I have no doubt this will change as we move along as more and more apps come out for Daydream. Comfort-wise, no comparison, View-MasterVR no strap, rubber where it meets your face, it's just not the same! It's heavier too!

So is it worth it? Absolutely! I got mine free as part of the free Daydream with Pixel pre-order promo that Google had going, BUT I would definitely pay 79 dollars for this thing! It's comfortable to wear and fun to use, it just needs more apps. BUT I know they will come. "If you build it they will come!"

Rich
    Last edited by pkcable; 11-23-2016 at 11:09 AM.
    Matty likes this.
    11-23-2016 08:27 AM
    11-23-2016 11:15 AM
    OK, great info, but what about the controller?
    did you use it?
    What the controller allows you do to in the apps or games?
    Did you tried the VKB in the Daydream app?

11-23-2016 02:30 PM
    OK, great info, but what about the controller?
    did you use it?
    What the controller allows you do to in the apps or games?
    Did you tried the VKB in the Daydream app?

The controller is necessary and is used to select things, and sometimes to bring your hand in to the mix, like it becomes your wand in Magical Beasts for example, BUT you need it at least to click through menus and selects options, and start programs. It would be difficult if not impossible to use the daydream without the remote.

I have not encounter a VKB yet but I would imagine it would be a ***** to use with the controller. Once and a while the device needs you to take it out and select something on the screen, for example set s permission. It did this twice on me, BUT it told me what to do. "Take phone out of headset". "Place phone back in headset" etc. Might do the same if you need to type out something long? Otherwise it would take forever selecting with the controller.
    11-23-2016 04:09 PM
    Didn't mention this in negatives, but this thing makes the phone get red hot! I could probably fry and egg after watching a movie! However I think GearVR has the same effect, and we won't even talk about the Note 7.
    11-23-2016 04:11 PM
    I have not encounter a VKB yet but I would imagine it would be a ***** to use with the controller.
    Take a look: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vr.inputmethod

Daydream View First Impressions-s_e72d46b965b737ebf35992c2c4dbd9c7_h300.png

I want to know why is the numpad in the left side :/
    11-23-2016 06:58 PM
    Take a look: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vr.inputmethod

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s_e72d46b965b737ebf35992c2c4dbd9c7_h300.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	3205

I want to know why is the numpad in the left side :/
    No clue. I'm sure I will come across that eventually. Now have you ever seen someone with CP, or MD or another muscular disease, that uses a board and a laser pointer to talk? THAT is how you would type on the keyboard. the controller is sorta like a laser pointer and you would have to point to the letters and numbers and click on the select button to select each. I can only imagine.

In a pinch it would be usable, but I would not want to type a post or email on it, lol. BUT a taunt maybe, or my initials or character name, might be ok.
    11-23-2016 07:25 PM
    I was thinking in a swype version because can improve long writes, but let have my own Daydream (sooner than later I will have one) and see what can be done too
    11-23-2016 07:46 PM
    I was thinking in a swype version because can improve long writes, but let have my own Daydream (sooner than later I will have one) and see what can be done too
    swype might work!
    11-23-2016 09:30 PM
    Thanks for the impressions and photos @pkcable.

Ive always loved the design of the DayDream. it almost looks like its wearing pyjamas and ready for sleep lol

Still waiting to try one out. Hopefully before the end of the year. Looks awesome and based on reviews its a must.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-24-2016 03:25 AM