I had thought there was just one Daydream, the one in the heather grey color. When I finally got my Pixel XL promo code last night, and went to redeem it, I saw there were actually three colors: the heather grey (aka "Slate"), "Crimson," and "Snow." This is clearly a potentially life altering decision and I want to choose carefully. Thoughts?
    12-06-2016 05:45 AM
    I had thought there was just one Daydream, the one in the heather grey color. When I finally got my Pixel XL promo code last night, and went to redeem it, I saw there were actually three colors: the heather grey (aka "Slate"), "Crimson," and "Snow." This is clearly a potentially life altering decision and I want to choose carefully. Thoughts?
    It is good that you are wanting to weigh your decision heavily - too many will just grab the one they like or is available, and many of those will come to regret their hastiness.

Google went to great lengths to design these different color options to be not only aesthetically different, but functionally as well.

The "Slate" option was introduced first, and is that 'heather' color as Google had a copious amount of material left over from another product they had intended to launch, but aborted - the "G-shirt" - and needed a means to put it to use. There is nothing particularly good or bad about this, they just needed to offload it.

Many feel that the "Snow" option was introduced to allow upcoming "sharpie artists" to use their headset as a canvas, and that is partially true, but the reality is that these were meticulously engineered to be able to keep your device cooler when you are using it (counter-intuitively to its name) outside in direct sunlight on a warm day, as the lighter color will absorb (and convert to heat) less sunlight. Rumor has it that it was originally entitled the "Snow White" version, with a mirrored finish to maximize its ability to prevent absorption/conversion of sunlight to heat, but air traffic controllers protested its disruptive potential and they elected instead to compromise, naming it "Snow" and leaving it white in color.

The "Crimson" option was designed for those who intend use their Daydream beyond extensively, sucking themselves into a new virtual life, with the deep red color not betraying the results of such eye-bleeding levels of use to outsiders who might otherwise notice and interrupt out of fear for the health of the user.

Pick carefully...
    pkcable, Chemy JMHT and jsarino like this.
    12-06-2016 10:32 AM
    I really didn't even imagine that, I though the colors was about the looks only :P

That's why there are making money and we are buying their stuff, they think a little bit more than most of us.

Great info Jeremy8000 thanks!
    Last edited by Chemy JMHT; 12-10-2016 at 08:12 PM.
    12-06-2016 07:05 PM
    Personally, I'm a fan of the grey. White always ends up showing a ton of dirt and since it's fabric I imagine it will be more difficult to clean stains off of it.

That being said, the red does look really good. If I didn't already have grey I'd be having a serious crisis over which one to pick. Allowing for fade of the crimson, I think the grey will end up doing the best in the long run.
    12-06-2016 11:30 PM
    Just so every one can get a visual aid on the colours. Here they are. For me i would go with SNOW.

Which color???-adrienne-mccallister-daydream-price-google-2016-840x473.jpg
    12-07-2016 03:30 AM
    For me, it would be between crimson and slate.
    12-07-2016 08:55 AM
    Once you go slate you never go back!
    12-07-2016 09:34 AM
    OK, I read al the info and the purpose about the colors, but if I have to chose, Black or the darkest color posible, I would even will be willing to paint it (I possibly won't) but I might.
    12-10-2016 08:17 PM
    OK, I read al the info and the purpose about the colors, but if I have to chose, Black or the darkest color posible, I would even will be willing to paint it (I possibly won't) but I might.
    Then Crimson or Slate would be what you want! I got slate, thought it went better with my black pixel
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    12-10-2016 09:27 PM
    I would go for slate as it is a neutral gray. These will cause less color contamination in general. When building "Expert viewer" booths to rate displays, we always use a neutral gray surround to get the most accurate results.
    12-11-2016 06:37 AM
    My Crimson just showed up today, and I've gotta say I really enjoy the color. Not just the red, but the black inner fabric and the lighter controller color. All small differences, but I'm a fan.
    12-15-2016 11:58 AM