I am SO thrilled to see the Galaxy S8 gaining Daydream support, BUT I think I'd rather use the Gear VR headset while in Daydream. Is this just me?

If I can disable the Oculus launcher like I do with Cardboard apps and just ride that out, I will be way happier with this experience overall.

What do you think?
    Firegold21 likes this.
    05-22-2017 02:54 PM
    I actually like that idea. From what I've heard, the Gear VR headset is the better build quality. No offense, @pkcable!
    05-22-2017 03:42 PM
    I actually like that idea. From what I've heard, the Gear VR headset is the better build quality. No offense, @pkcable!
    I think it's somewhat relative. GearVR is better construction for sure, being hard plastic and metal, and probably more durable in the long run, BUT I would argue that the Daydream is durable enough AND much more comfortable to wear and use! It's lighter and softer and nicely padded. NOT to say that the GearVR is not nicely padded BUT for sure it's much heavier!
    05-22-2017 04:44 PM
    The biggest thing for me is light leakage. I thing Daydream View is WAY more comfortable to wear, but the sides aren't fully closed so a ton of light gets into the headset from behind you and it can be turbo distracting.
    05-23-2017 08:22 AM
    There's some light leakage in the Gear VR as well, but not very much. I haven't been able to pinpoint where it's coming from, so I can't fix it. You only notice it if you're on a black screen, really; with anything going on in the game or experience, you don't notice the slight leakage.
    05-23-2017 12:28 PM
    I believe you CAN use the Daydream software with your GearVR hardware ONCE Samsung updates the S8 to support Daydream. At least that's wjat Jen Karner says in this blog
    05-24-2017 04:16 PM
    Wouldn't be nice if the Oculus store has the Cardboard and the Daydream so inside? I haven't tried any of those, but since I know once you plug and wear the GearVR it automatically launches the Oculus so maybe having the apps inside could an official options and hopefully it won't add too much extra consumption of resources from the phone.
    pkcable likes this.
    05-31-2017 12:41 AM