Folks,

While reading the blogs recently at VRHeads, which I will reference at the end, I came across this question. Which is the better way to move about in the VR world? Is it better to teleport, that is to move from place to place simply by clicking on the new place and then instantly being "teleported" to it, OR by using some sort of control mechanism and "walking" to the destination and observing the virtual world about you as you do? Now I think a LOT will depend on the app or game we are playing. Certainly Real Estate, or other modeling apps would lend themselves towards a walking modality, and perhaps some massive games might benefit from teleportation for at least parts of the game. So what do you all think?

Please read the following blogs before you respond....

These are the best VR games that don't rely on teleportation | VRHeads (Walking)

These VR games do teleportation the right way | VRHeads (teleportation)

Rich
    Q&A Jedi
    03-17-2017 09:39 AM
    I'm a fan of using both. Or at least providing both as an option in games. One of the main reasons, to my knowledge, for using teleportation is it's easier on the motion sickness prone. That's fine, but why should those who DON'T suffer from that have to only use "comfort mode" and teleportation? Shouldn't be that much more difficult for both forms of locomotion top be an option, IMO.

I know I often wish I could walk around in my Gear VR games, so you know which side of the fence I fall on. ;-)
    pkcable likes this.
    03-17-2017 04:15 PM
    I think the same as you @pkcable it depends of the experience, some are pretty bad actually, the one on Alice VR for example I think is not well achieved, you move with the XBOX controller so the dizziness is secured after a little longer playing.

I watched a video I want to share, they speak a little about some of the right now movement for VR but also about Survios Sprint Vector Game.

03-19-2017 08:17 PM
    Not being prone to sickness I enjoy normal locomotion. Definitely more immersive. However, the teleportation in Robo Recall is something I really like.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    03-21-2017 09:11 AM
    Not being prone to sickness I enjoy normal locomotion. Definitely more immersive. However, the teleportation in Robo Recall is something I really like.
    Dito! When watching you play Robo Recall, the teleportation was cool. My guess would be based on style of play.

In an MMO VR world, I would prefer normal walking. But hopefully the magic user can teleport
    03-21-2017 05:29 PM
    I reserve judgement for which one is the best until Bethesda shows us what they did for Fallout 4 VR. That's going to be the most extensive VR game ever when it's finished.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    03-23-2017 09:51 PM
    I reserve judgement for which one is the best until Bethesda shows us what they did for Fallout 4 VR. That's going to be the most extensive VR game ever when it's finished.
    I can't hardly wait.
    03-27-2017 07:29 PM
    You know I played it using some hack, and the VR was terrible, was like a kind of stereoscopic 3D, of course it wasn't the official but some hack someone did and shared.

But after a while and with some little headache you really feel you are in another world, terribly huge! endless possibilities.
    03-28-2017 08:54 PM
    You know I played it using some hack, and the VR was terrible, was like a kind of stereoscopic 3D, of course it wasn't the official but some hack someone did and shared.

But after a while and with some little headache you really feel you are in another world, terribly huge! endless possibilities.
    03-28-2017 08:54 PM