Hello VR Heads fans!

Whelp it finally happened. VR is coming to Half-Life 2.

The trailer is pretty cool:

The interesting part? It will support BOTH HTC Vive and Oculus Rift! Now I am officially jealous of PC folks

It is important to know that Half-Life 2 : VR will be a mod for Half-Life 2. The best part? It will be free!!!!

Additional features of the mod:

• Motion controller support

• Updated effects, textures, models & maps

• A 3D, made for VR GUI

• Realistic weapon interactions

• Multiple VR locomotion methods

Those who have a Rift or Vive AND own Half-Life 2, are you looking forward to this mod?

Source VR Mod Team's Workshop
    Firegold21 likes this.
    05-15-2017 10:31 PM
    That's good news. I wonder why there is not any HL3 right now, with VR eve if the game is bad the people will love it.

I think there is an app from MSI (I will try to read and post the info about it) that allows to play any flat 3D game in a VR HMD 3D way, I don't know exactly how it works but should be great to simply "play" your old game in a HMD.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    05-17-2017 04:43 PM
    Oh good I was wondering what I would play when my current list of 523891234 games to finish ran out.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    05-22-2017 09:26 PM
    Oh good I was wondering what I would play when my current list of 523891234 games to finish ran out.
    My problem is not my game list but my Gaming PC right now, I need an upgrade, all I want is a more affordable Gaming devices lol.

But you man need to do something with your Gaming Library :P
    05-26-2017 10:14 PM
    never thought that an old game was going to be supported in VR. i think that i will try it in September.
    07-21-2017 07:22 PM
    I cant wait for it to come out!
    07-25-2017 02:26 AM
    That's good news. I wonder why there is not any HL3 right now, with VR eve if the game is bad the people will love it.

I think there is an app from MSI (I will try to read and post the info about it) that allows to play any flat 3D game in a VR HMD 3D way, I don't know exactly how it works but should be great to simply "play" your old game in a HMD.
    MSI is the sponsor, TriDef is the developer. TriDef makes TriDef3D which I have used for a long time with my NVIDIA 3DVision 2 glasses as an improvement over NVIDIA's stereoscopic 3D mode that is built into the driver.

TriDef VR is more like one of the virtual desktop apps for VR. It is more polished than the competition thus far, as it is professionally developed, while the others are mostly indie software.
    It does incorporate stereoscopic 3D into the virtual display, but it is still just that - a virtual display screen floating in front of you with a stereoscopic effect that seems much less pronounced than the same content viewed on a 3D display.
    Until september, TriDef VR is only available for MSI customers with new VR-ready MSI Gaming hardware. For example, I went to Fry's and bought an MSI Gaming 1060 GPU which came with TriDef VR on it's driver CD, but was also able to install the updated version downloaded from MSI's website. I then returned the GPU to Fry's, which only felt a little ****ty - but given how I feel about vendor lock-in and other such exclusivity, I got over it pretty quick.

P.S.: TriDef VR still runs after having removed the MSI card and putting two ZOTAC 1070s back in.

PPSS-orwhatever: Here is a free alternative that has pretty much all the same features(including stereoscopic 3D) plus surround sound:
    https://sites.google.com/a/rauschit....eo-player/home
    Note that VRScreen is not a polished professional product. It is currently in alpha, and can be clunky. Namely, it does not launch SteamVR when run, but of course still requires it to be running to function. If SteamVR closes or resets the Vive for any reason, you will need to take your headset off and close/relaunch VRScreen.(This should be easy enough to script, tbh)
    Last edited by biorpg; 07-25-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: VRScreen
    07-25-2017 08:43 AM
    A lot of good info about the app man, also good option that VRScreen, welcome to the forum BTW.

I didn't know enough about the MSI (TriDef) app but you clarified me a lot about it.
    07-26-2017 10:10 PM
    There's been a mod out for like 5 years now.... But I forgot about it till now so I'm gonna set it up and try it with my NOLOVR
    08-29-2017 03:39 PM
    There's been a mod out for like 5 years now.... But I forgot about it till now so I'm gonna set it up and try it with my NOLOVR
    Half-Life VR 1.2 file - Mod DB
    08-29-2017 03:39 PM
    So, did you test it? how it was? I haven't done yet.
    11-25-2017 01:54 PM
    So, did you test it? how it was? I haven't done yet.
    It still uses beta drivers for dev kits that havent been updated in about as long. I said it's been done. I never said the original method was ever easy to reproduce. That is why an entire overhaul is in order. so the new hardware will work on an older concept
    11-25-2017 04:37 PM
    I was excited 5 year ago and realized I wouldnt be able to pull it off yet.... here it is like 15 years later..... no flying car..... no HL3, no FreemanVR, everythihng is DLC..... smells like dystopia
    11-25-2017 04:39 PM
    I was excited 5 year ago and realized I wouldnt be able to pull it off yet.... here it is like 15 years later..... no flying car..... no HL3, no FreemanVR, everythihng is DLC..... smells like dystopia
    I'm with you, the things of these days are like the selfie stick and the bezel-less phones and no more.
    11-26-2017 03:39 PM