Can the screen of fixed-screen VR headsets be replaced when new screen technology appears?
    Or do we have to buy the whole set all over again?

Next year I believe 4k will be the norm. And in 2018 it's 11k.
    10-20-2016 09:19 AM
    Can the screen of fixed-screen VR headsets be replaced when new screen technology appears?
    Or do we have to buy the whole set all over again?

Next year I believe 4k will be the norm. And in 2018 it's 11k.
    So far you need to change the entire headset or HMD (Head-Mounted-Display) but it's to early to really see what will happen, maybe the next upgrade of some HMD will be more focused on a wider angles of view so that way you will probably need to change the inner lens and the screen, also the housing won't fit the wider screen, but so far we can't know what will be the next improvement to rise in VR.
    LezCronut likes this.
    10-20-2016 12:20 PM
    Oh my that's a deterrent to buying VR tho. Seriously. A bummer. Is the headset the most expensive part of all? And we will have to change it in about 2 years. Screen tech changes so fast. I'd rather buy the smartphone VR type consequently.
    I mean it makes me rethink. Seriously.

What are the differences between HMD and the smartphone display VR? I've never tried HMD guys. Is it that much different? Is it more immersive? How much more?

Oh and Samsung has foldable display right? Will definitely be used in VR. I seriously think from now on all VR headset should have replaceable screen.
    10-21-2016 12:14 PM
    If you buy OSVR, you can upgrade any part anytime. They have kits for about 140 bucks that let us upgrade from HDK 1.3 hardware or 1.4 hardware to their new 2.0.

Vive though is very much intended to be a consumer unit - nothing gets upgraded really
    11-09-2016 01:55 PM
    If a titan X pascal can just about achieve 4K 60fps. Imagine what it would take to process 4K per eye at 90 fps. Next year that might be achievable but I wouldn't wager on it being affordable.
    11-09-2016 04:36 PM
    Isn't there something about the human eye only being able to distinguish up to a certain resolution? 11K seems like it would be a waste. Am I completely out to lunch?
    11-09-2016 07:23 PM
    Screendoor effect aside, I can still see pixelation in current HMDs. But I'm OK with it, I'd rather see them get wireless HDMI
    11-10-2016 12:50 AM
    Isn't there something about the human eye only being able to distinguish up to a certain resolution? 11K seems like it would be a waste. Am I completely out to lunch?
    54,000 x 108,000 pixel screen would be ultimate according to someone who seems to know what they are talking about. Some of it goes way over my head though.
    Bottom of the page: Virtual Perfection: Why 8K resolution per eye isn?t enough for perfect VR | Ars Technica
    Cale Hunt likes this.
    11-10-2016 04:37 AM
    Thank you for the link! Interesting stuff
    VirtuaTyKing likes this.
    11-12-2016 02:14 PM
    I think the bigger issue is the graphic cards not the video screens. Given the pixel density of cell phone displays I am sure we could squeeze a super high resolution into an HMD in the near future. A bigger problem will be driving that large amount of pixels. I mean PC Gamer just built their large pixel collider and they are happy to be maxing out games at 60FPS at 4K. So we are a long long way off from 8k or even higher running at 90fps.
    12-13-2016 07:40 AM