Are plastic Cardboard units better than just cardboard ones? I'd imagine they potentially have much better lenses, but is it enough of a difference to choose over a cardboard Cardboard? (heh) What are the most immersive Plastic headsets? A button of some sort is a must for me.
    10-16-2016 03:31 AM
    The lenses are actually the same in the plastic versions, but the external casing will last a lot longer and frequently happen to be more portable.
    10-16-2016 04:46 AM
    Are there any alternatives with better lenses or is that not really possible with the Cardboard standard?
    10-16-2016 09:20 AM
    Plastic will just last longer and might be more comfortable for extended periods, but Im pretty sure the lenses are the same.
    10-17-2016 11:01 AM
    Probably depends on how much you want to spend. There is no reason you couldn't put better lenses in a cardboard, ether plastic or actual cardboard.
    10-17-2016 11:15 AM
    If you're going with one of the plastic ones on Amazon or a similar website, make sure its truly Google Cardboard compatible. Some of these have no input method (like the magnet or button on the Google Cardboard V1.0/2.0), and others aren't even natively compatible with Cardboard software, even though they are advertised to be (no QR code, not intended for interaction with software). Otherwise, the plastic ones (the good ones that are compatible) are a better long term investment than the cardboard variants.
    10-23-2016 12:45 PM
    I imagine you'll find that there are only so many ways to rounded circles of glass, the lenses really are not holding anything back as far as cardboard goes.
    In my own experience with a cardboard cardboard (sounds weird) is that through normal use, it didn't take too long for bits to get bent and roughened, including the piece that holds the lenses in place. So now the lenses don't sit properly, which makes the viewer a lot more sickness inducing to me. I would definitely check out Best Google Cardboard Viewer - I AM Cardboard they make a few different viewers, plastic and cardboard, quite cheap as well. They seem to care about their designs.
    Good luck!
    10-24-2016 10:00 AM
    If you're going with one of the plastic ones on Amazon or a similar website, make sure its truly Google Cardboard compatible. Some of these have no input method (like the magnet or button on the Google Cardboard V1.0/2.0), and others aren't even natively compatible with Cardboard software, even though they are advertised to be (no QR code, not intended for interaction with software). Otherwise, the plastic ones (the good ones that are compatible) are a better long term investment than the cardboard variants.
    The one I linked does have a button, but no qr code, and quite frankly I haven't missed it. I'm not sure what the qr code does for you, other than launching the cardboard app, that I can do manually.

Edit: OK, now I know. Here is a list of qr codes for a bunch of different cardboard headsets. and at the end of the page is a link to instructions to create your own qr code.
    Last edited by camiller; 10-25-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: more info
    10-25-2016 09:55 AM