I am looking for a cheap VR headset to try with my Samsung Galaxy S4. Is the Google Cardboard the best option?
    10-14-2016 03:03 AM
    I am looking for a cheap VR headset to try with my Samsung Galaxy S4. Is the Google Cardboard the best option?
    I would say it is a good starter option. For Google Cardboard / Gear VR and Google Daywhatever, it ranges in price from about 2$ all the way up-to 150$. The only real difference, is what you strap to your face though. Not the actual SDK or implementation (although the Gear VR has a few changes).

Essentially, the dollar difference is mostly around comfort and what games are available. I'd go with a 2 dollar or self-printed Google Cardboard first, see hwo you feel about it on your phone, and if you like it go for a bigger set like a set of VR Box goggles or Gear VR if the S4 is supported.
    10-15-2016 10:22 PM
    Honestly Google Cardboard is a good place to start if you want to see whether mobile VR is something you really want to invest in. I would suggest getting one of the premade Google Cardboard boxes they sell on amazon that has a strap and some padding for your nose, they run about $10 on amazon. It'll give you some basic experiences and a feel for what VR feels like. If you want to delve deeper, its a matter of going with the Samsung Gear VR or the Google Daydream, with each having different software support and means of interacting with the content provided. I'm more of a Daydream enthusiast, but since you have a Galaxy S4 and Samsung's VR platform is more established at this point, your best bet would be to eventually move on to the Gear VR.
    10-16-2016 12:42 PM
    I'd get a very cheap cardboard just for testing and a BoboVR 4 for comfort. Don't expect the results that the GearVR could give you (haven't really tried it, but heard a lot about it) but it'll certainly get you there. Personally I can't wait to "move" to a Daydream solution with the Pixel and start prototyping a few ideas I have.
    10-16-2016 07:25 PM
    cardboard will probably become part of daydream in the future
    10-17-2016 02:45 PM
    Cardboard is a good entry-level option if you're getting your feet wet in VR, but not ready yet to plunk down alot for it. It's also a good option for a majority of Android phones, as something like Gear VR, Daydream and others requires a particular set of requirements, or specific devices to make it work, not to mention the higher cost.
    10-18-2016 09:40 AM
    This may be a silly question, but is Google Cardboard compatible with Daydream?
    10-18-2016 03:34 PM
    I been enjoying my Google Cardboard experience using iamcardboard v2.

As mentioned by other fellow VR Heads, it is a cool option to get into the world of VR.

Though I enjoy my iamcardboard v2, I recommend you look at a Cardboard HMD with a strap option. This way you don't need to hold it in place with both hands.

Lots of options for cardboard at reasonable prices. If you decide to invest in one, and you are a fan of Queen, make sure to download from Google Play: Bo Rhap VR

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    10-18-2016 03:54 PM
    Google CardBoard is the best place to start. Low cost and low risk.
    10-18-2016 08:17 PM
    I found it useful to see how I liked VR before investing more money in it. Now I've had a few goes though it's just collecting dust. Nothing wrong with the images, it's the discomfort and the effect of the construction which blocks part of the view because it doesn't fit the shape of my face very well.
    My next decision is whether to get the Samsung VR or the Playstation one. I just really hope PSVR doesn't have the same problem that Move did - not enough good games.
    10-19-2016 06:41 AM
    Does anyone know where you can get customized Google Cardboard units? I remember seeing Star Wars themed ones before. Are these still available anywhere?
    10-19-2016 07:42 AM
    Does anyone know where you can get customized Google Cardboard units? I remember seeing Star Wars themed ones before. Are these still available anywhere?
    There are quite a few options (and prices) here: https://www.google.com/search?q=goog...e=off&tbm=shop
    10-20-2016 12:58 AM
    I've never gotten around to buying one yet.

Any suggestions that work well with the S7 Edge? I figure Cardboard is the way to test out VR before going all in with the Gear VR.
    10-20-2016 03:42 AM
    yeah, whats the difference in daydream besides more premium finish?
    10-20-2016 08:46 PM
    Google cardboard is pretty good
    10-21-2016 04:28 AM
    It depends on your phone. I have an iPhone 6S Plus, and the resolution just isn't quite high enough to work well. IIRC the S4 is 1080P, so you may have the same issue I had.
    10-21-2016 06:13 PM
    I've used cardboard a few times. It's pretty cool, but not all that impressive. I think Google Daydream VR would be better.
    10-21-2016 08:56 PM
    That's what I'm hoping
    10-21-2016 09:37 PM
    I would say its the cheapest one you can try. I have been using one for over 6 months now with a Nexus 6. Although my phone is a bit bigger for Google Cardboard, but for Galaxy S4, it would be a good fit
    10-23-2016 01:44 PM
    Thank you for all the information. Helped me a lot
    10-23-2016 09:20 PM
    With the launch of the google daydream i dont think soo
    10-26-2016 04:35 AM
    It is a good place to start for sure... Little cost and you can use your current phone. There are better experiences out there but you would need to buy a new phone and vr.
    10-26-2016 08:07 AM
    They were a special promotion through Verizon, maybe you can find them on Ebay.
    Penguwin likes this.
    10-27-2016 12:28 AM
    It is hard to tell from your blurry profile photo, but if you wear glasses you might be disappointed with the actual google cardboard. When I tried it I had to kind of bow out the sides a bit and jam it on over my eyeglass frames, and it never really worked for me. I bought a cheep plastic version, and I see on android central someone is selling a plastic one on amazon for just $10 using a coupon code in the article.
    10-27-2016 10:42 AM
    The google cardboard give the user a basic vr experience, for the price it worth it.
    10-28-2016 12:26 AM
34 12