Do you like it or hate it?
    10-18-2016 05:17 AM
    I love Google cardboard, in a way. I like the platform and that they brought VR to so many people, but I don't actually like a Cardboard headset made out of cardboard. I prefer ones like the DSCVR that are a bit more sturdy and portable.
    10-18-2016 09:41 AM
    I think Google Cardboard is a GREAT way to introduce someone (or yourself) to VR, but tbh it's not nearly as immersive as something like an Oculus Rift or even a Gear VR. Since it relies on the sensors in your phone and nothing else, the latency isn't optimal and motion blur is sometimes noticeable, so the immersion can be broken. Not to mention, depending on the headset, the FOV and light leakage will vary from headset to headset as well. I would use Google Cardboard mainly as just a demo of what VR can do, but if you're going to get it for more than that, make sure you spend just a little extra money and go for something like the Zeiss VR One or similar. Hope this helps!
    Fnord likes this.
    10-18-2016 07:59 PM
    Cardboard is a nice intro to vr but it's not as good quality and experience as other ones. But now there is daydream view from Google.
    10-24-2016 12:01 PM
    There are 2 important factors to consider when getting a VR headset - sensors & how well the headset is able to isolate you from the outside world. As ldog3211 noted, headtracking sensors in a headset will work with the processor to keep the display as close to in-sync to your head movements as possible. Even the slightest lag/latency (I’m talking milliseconds) can result in feeling nauseous. Phone sensors are not as sensitive as ones based into VR headsets. OEMs like Samsung who produce the phone AND headset have the added benefit of being able to tweak the phones hardware/software to optimize as much as possible. In terms of isolation, even the smallest light bleed can make the difference of feeling truly immersed in an experience vs just watching a 360 video. Cardboard fails on both accounts. While it is cheap, and therefore accessible, which is a good thing for VR in one sense, WIRED published an article a while back about how Cradboard is actually bad for VR as an industry because of it's low quality and high accessibility. There is the potential for many people to try it and assume that is all VR has to offer.

Think of it this way, a Toyota Yaris is considerably cheaper than a BMW M series, and they will both get you from point A to B, but the experience of the ride is night and day.
    11-03-2016 10:13 AM
    Do you like it or hate it?
    I think the Google Carboard is great for what its meant to be, and thats a entry level VR headset to get everyone hooked.
    What makes it better is that you can build it yourself and if it breaks.. it doest matter, its only $20

all you need to do is load 'Cardboard apps' to your iOS or Android phone, drop your device into the headset, and get playing. It's not the best VR experience out there, but if you have a flagship phone with a hi-res screen, it's actually pretty good!
    11-09-2016 12:16 AM
    I have no experience with them, but you can get a VR Box on Ebay for $5US, shipped. Cheap way to try it.
    12-07-2016 06:30 PM