So we know that the Gear VR is only compatible with Galaxy S7, S7 edge, Note 5, S6, and S6 edge.

Anyone with one of these phones able to confirm if the Gear VR is any good? It's incredibly cheap for the unit, considering the real cost is in the device that slots into it, so it might prove to be a very popular toy.

I'm curious if the fact that it relies on your phone will mean it suffers a subpar performance in comparison to a standalone discrete VR device.
    05-26-2016 02:00 PM
    I have the Gear VR, and absolutely love it! Everyone I've showed it to (who hasn't experienced VR before) is also amazed at just how well it works.

In terms of performance, it's honestly quite good despite being powered by a phone. While you can't lean forward and back, basic head-tracking works as well as you need it, with virtually imperceptible lag - important for those who tend to suffer from motion sickness). Graphics-wise, it's pretty good, though there's definitely some room for improvement.

The Gear VR does have a lower field of view than its PC counterparts, but it is noticeably better than Google Cardboard. Once you are enjoying an experience/app however, you start to not pay attention to this as much (similar to the resolution).

The biggest issue with the Gear is dealing with heat. Running VR content on these phones tends to generate a fair bit of heat, and can eventually prompt a warning to let your phone cool down. People have done mods to add a fan to the unit, but a much more simple solution is to use some gel packs such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Packs...UvrUvbUpU47543

Overall though, I'd definitely recommend getting one if you have a compatible phone. For $100 it's an awesome way to experience VR, and help decide whether to invest in a PC-based setup for more immersion and capabilities.
    krisguy and dmiller1969 like this.
    05-27-2016 09:46 AM
    I had two of them courtesy of Samsung, one for each Galaxy S7 that I got.
    Devhux likes this.
    06-01-2016 06:44 PM
    The biggest issue with the Gear is dealing with heat. Running VR content on these phones tends to generate a fair bit of heat, and can eventually prompt a warning to let your phone cool down. People have done mods to add a fan to the unit, but a much more simple solution is to use some gel packs such as this:

Robot Check
    Devhux, I've seen mention of this before. How do you use the gel packs? Where do you put them? Do you freeze or refrigerate them first? Or do they absorb enough heat starting at room temperature?
    06-15-2016 07:33 AM
    You would freeze the gel packs, then place one on the back of the phone. While I don't have them myself yet (a lot don't seem to ship to Canada), I believe there is a light adhesive on the back). Eventually the packs will warm up from the heat of the phone, but then you just swap it out for a cooler one.
    06-15-2016 10:00 AM
    Now that I'm back home from vacation, here's what I'm going to make next:

Samsung Gear VR Fan Cover by GARROW_3D - Thingiverse

This is the STL file for a cover to put in a fan into a cover.
    jean15paul and Devhux like this.
    06-21-2016 01:14 PM
    Any news about new Gear VR?
    07-28-2016 06:36 PM
    I have had a Gear VR for about 4 months now. I have enjoyed it immensely as a hold over until I get a Rift or a Vive. The Gear has a lot of potential it has not even touched upon. It is seriously lacking AAA titles. However there are still a number of titles that are great. There are also some great Apps as well like Oculus Video for watching movies in a LARGE theater, or the Netflix app which lets you chill on a virtual couch in a cabin on a mountaintop where you can watch an 8 foot screen in front of you for all your netflix movies and shows. I highly recommend downloading SideLoad VR as it will allow you to see what various indy developers are working on.

Even though there is still not enough for the Gear VR as far as Apps and Games goes, for $99 it is worth it if you already have an applicable phone.

In other words, if you got a phone that will work with it, GET IT. Also get a bluetooth controller for it. It makes it so much more enjoyable.

OH YES and the Playstation 1 Emulator FPSE allows you to play games on a virtual screen. Just insert phone while flipping back plug in tab and the Gear VR doubles as a Cardboard VR.
    07-29-2016 11:09 PM
    I have had one for about 4 months now. Worth the 99 bucks if you already have a compatible phone. I recommend downloading SideLoad VR which lets you use a bunch of indy developed apps. Also FPSE a Playstation 1 emulator works with Gear VR if you use set the phone in using cardboard mode. Basically flip the connector back instead of plugging it in and the Gear works as a much higher quality feeling Cardboard VR.
    07-30-2016 05:59 PM
    mines on its way !
    Your submission has been approved!
    Your Samsung Gear VR will be sent to you at the mailing address provided when registering for this offer within 12 weeks. Once your gift has shipped, you will receive an email with your tracking number and additional redemption details.

Once you receive your Gear VR, your Oculus content bonus will be available as a digital download from the Oculus store. Please make sure to create an Oculus account and download your content before 11:59:59pm PT on 2/28/17 when the download expires.*
    09-30-2016 07:02 PM
    I agree that performance for VR headsets like the Gear VR will likely be sub par in comparison to VR experiences that use the processing power of a desktop computer to generate the effects. However, for those like myself who are curious about VR but would not necessarily use it often, the limited experience is a fair trade off for the lower price. I have the Galaxy Note 4 (which I would have upgraded to the Note 7, had it not been for the unfortunate combustion issues with that device) so I will be limited to what I can do and what products I can buy, but eventually I do plan on giving it a go. :-)
    10-13-2016 05:38 PM
    Will there be a new gear VR next year. Ford the limited time I had mine, I found it good for long flights just to watch a movie
    10-13-2016 05:42 PM
    How usable is this device for people with glasses? Does it make a difference at all? I've never used a VR device, and I've always been underwhelmed by goofy stuff like movie 3D glasses.
    10-14-2016 09:56 AM
    I've got a Galaxy S7 Edge I just got off of Craigslist. I see that the Gear VR released with the S7 is 50% off on Amazon today.

Is it worth it at that price point? I'm interested in getting a headset, but I want the experience to be good.

Thanks
    10-14-2016 12:16 PM
    I love my gear vr, the second gen is even better, I will say the overheating solutions involving putting a cold pack on the phone will cause crazy fogging issues due to the temperature differential and the open space in the headset.
    10-14-2016 09:15 PM
    I use the ice packs with my GS6 and Ive had no fogging issues at all.
    10-16-2016 10:11 PM
    I love my gear vr, the second gen is even better, I will say the overheating solutions involving putting a cold pack on the phone will cause crazy fogging issues due to the temperature differential and the open space in the headset.

I use the ice packs with my GS6 and Ive had no fogging issues at all.
    I suspect that it would have to do with the humidity in your area. If the air is dry there's no issue. But I can't imagine it NOT fogging up where I am (New Orleans). Anything cold fogs up here.
    10-16-2016 10:53 PM
    I get fogging because I am hot-blodded. I fog my Vive and Gear VR quite regularly. Ended up buying anti-fog cleaner for paintball goggles to help.
    10-16-2016 11:32 PM
    My experience is that the best experience will be coming from screens offering higher than qhd resolution. Even using the Galaxy S7 Edge model you can see the pixels which in my opinion can keep you from believing you are in a real space. However, you will actually enjoy the experience regardless of that. You need to contend with device overheating which on a galaxy S6 I couldn't even get 5 minutes of use before I had to shut down.

The S7 will perform much much better. I think having a controller will enhance VR tremendoulsy, since holding your arm to your head to use the GearVR controls can get tiring. Nothing will beat a VR system running off an actual computer rig.
    10-21-2016 12:30 PM
    My experience is that the best experience will be coming from screens offering higher than qhd resolution. Even using the Galaxy S7 Edge model you can see the pixels which in my opinion can keep you from believing you are in a real space. However, you will actually enjoy the experience regardless of that. You need to contend with device overheating which on a galaxy S6 I couldn't even get 5 minutes of use before I had to shut down.

The S7 will perform much much better. I think having a controller will enhance VR tremendoulsy, since holding your arm to your head to use the GearVR controls can get tiring. Nothing will beat a VR system running off an actual computer rig.
    The Note 7 was the best phone for VR... when it wasn't busy bursting into flames.
    10-21-2016 08:20 PM
    I also was given one with the pre-order of my S7 Edge. It was enjoyable at times, had some really fun moments, but as of right now i can't seem to find a reason to put it on. Maybe its that the content isn't 'quite' there yet.
    10-23-2016 09:09 PM
    I agree. I loved it and the second gen VR until I had to return them both.
    10-26-2016 05:31 PM
    i see one of the top post saying that there is a little problem, that with much use you can get a warning that your phone needs to cool down. but does is make the vr case really hot aswell ? do you feel its hot agains your face ?
    10-27-2016 01:10 PM
    what do you wish you could do with the headset that it currently can't?
    10-30-2016 02:30 AM
    How usable is this device for people with glasses? Does it make a difference at all? I've never used a VR device, and I've always been underwhelmed by goofy stuff like movie 3D glasses.
    I wear my glasses all the time. Not at all uncomfortable.
    11-23-2016 06:06 PM
29 12