Home VRHeads Q&A > Buying a Daydream View

What Phones are Daydream View compatible?

Asked: Oct 05 2016 | 12:10 pm EDT 4984 Views 36 Answers View Best Answer

Folks,

Pardon my naivete, but what phones are Google Daydream compatible? Is it JUST the pixel phones right now? Are any other current phones up to the task? Is this an open standard like Google Cardboard and just any manufacturer can make a compatible phone? Or for that matter a clone Daydream? I guess my main concern is can I used this with my One Plus 3?

Rich

Best Answer

Oct 05 2016 | 12:58 pm EDT krisguy

Right now, the Pixel series are the only Daydream Compatible devices on the market. Samsung, Huawei, and ZTE have stated they are developing phones that meet the standard. For right now, Cardboard is your only option with the Plus3, that I'm aware of.

More Answers

Oct 05 2016 | 1:31 pm EDT Chemy JMHT

But with The next software update I think some phones already on the market will fill that list, the specs of the Pixels aren't too different from other flagships.

Anyone knows something about it?
Oct 05 2016 | 3:42 pm EDT pkcable

But with The next software update I think some phones already on the market will fill that list, the specs of the Pixels aren't too different from other flagships.

I hope you are right!
Oct 06 2016 | 4:33 pm EDT iThunderbirt

I stumbled upon the following article: http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/10/06/pi...ia-nougat-7-1/

It mentions what Pixel features will not make it to other Android devices. Those being "Assistant, as well as unlimited original quality Google Photos backup and 24/7 on-phone customer support."

But the article does contain the following: "some interesting new functionality will make its way to all Android devices, including a feature called Night Light, which, similar to Night Shift on iOS, adjusts the colour balance on a phone to make it easier on the user’s eyes during the evening. Other inbound tweaks include a Daydream VR mode, touch and display performance improvements and an optional fingerprint swipe down gesture developers can implement."

The mention of "Daydream VR mode" sounds promising provided devs implement it in future Android builds.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
Oct 07 2016 | 2:17 am EDT Matty

Folks,

Pardon my naivete, but what phones are Google Daydream compatible? Is it JUST the pixel phones right now? Are any other current phones up to the task? Is this an open standard like Google Cardboard and just any manufacturer can make a compatible phone? Or for that matter a clone Daydream? I guess my main concern is can I used this with my One Plus 3?

Rich
At the moment

Pixel, Pixel XL & Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe,
Oct 12 2016 | 2:05 am EDT fraamus

ZTE isn't developing phones. They flat out say the Axon 7 is fully compatible and only lacks certification from Google. In fact they have been testing all the builds. I think Google would just as soon not certify ANY other phone until (overpriced) PIxel sales cool off. Having had the phone for a couple weeks I can tell you ZTE is great at pushing out updates and communicating with customers through their forum. I think as soon as they get Nougat they will be ready to go. They already showed their own headset but did not retail it. IMHO once the DD headset is out ZTE will be pushing sales and be fully compatible.

It pretty much equals the specs of the Pixel (the Pixel has an 821 they have an 820) plus the Axon 7 has an SD card slot. Both AMOLED. Both 2K. Half the price!
Oct 13 2016 | 11:05 am EDT murof

I hope they allow the previous years flagships to work eventually
Oct 14 2016 | 6:27 am EDT BCWARE

Hoping they make the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge compatible. I'd really like buy one of these.
Oct 14 2016 | 6:34 pm EDT BDuff35

Someone might have already asked this question, but I am just wondering if anyone knows if the Nexus 6p will be Daydream compatible?
Oct 14 2016 | 7:03 pm EDT oldtimefighter

My understanding is a phone needs the proper sensors to be Daydream compatible. Google needs to also officially support any phone that works with Daydream (that doesn't mean someone can't hack it to work) so a software update will not be enough.

At the moment

Pixel, Pixel XL & Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe,
Only ASUS says the Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe is compatible... Google makes the call on that so right now officially it's only the Pixel and the Pixel XL. https://vr.google.com/daydream/phones/

Is Samsung Galaxy s6 edge compatible with daydream vr
No...

Someone might have already asked this question, but I am just wondering if anyone knows if the Nexus 6p will be Daydream compatible?
The Nexus 6P works with the Daydream development kit but Google has already said it won't be supported on the consumer version.
Oct 14 2016 | 7:26 pm EDT Karl00

Seems insane that the 6P and 5X aren't included...
Oct 15 2016 | 1:47 pm EDT oldtimefighter

Seems insane that the 6P and 5X aren't included...
Not really... The SD810 already has tons of bad press for getting hot and throttling under load so how is that chipset a good choice for VR?
Oct 15 2016 | 2:48 pm EDT PalakMi

So far pixel and pixel xl, and the axon 7 which is capable, but I think it will be ready when android 7.1 hits it
Oct 16 2016 | 11:29 am EDT BDuff35

Does anyone know the exact specs that make a phone Daydream compatible?
Oct 16 2016 | 12:04 pm EDT JDGAFFLIN

This looks like the best value for a VR experience. I'm going to hold off until more Daydream compatible phones are available.

I really like the design.
Oct 16 2016 | 2:23 pm EDT Ticc937

Pixel is the only with Samsung an others to follow
Oct 17 2016 | 6:53 am EDT PalakMi

Pixel is the only with Samsung an others to follow
Yes, and not to forget the cheapest option, axon 7 will be compatible once 7.1 hits it
Oct 17 2016 | 8:04 am EDT JDGAFFLIN

I hope Google opens it up to other OEMS / Manufacturers.

We'll see down the line. As for now, I ordered the early 2016 Gear VR on sale from Amazon to test the waters..
Oct 17 2016 | 2:00 pm EDT anon(10056114)

Do you think there is any possibility of the Nexus 6p being supported??
Oct 18 2016 | 4:40 pm EDT PalakMi

Do you think there is any possibility of the Nexus 6p being supported??
Officially no, but maybe an unofficial support (which is unlikely to happen)
Oct 18 2016 | 8:21 pm EDT Trent9810

My LG G4 gets hot using cardboard and the 808 chip didn't have any over heating issues.
Oct 20 2016 | 4:45 am EDT pjtpjt

Not really... The SD810 already has tons of bad press for getting hot and throttling under load so how is that chipset a good choice for VR?
Yes, but the 6P has the v2.1 of the 810 which is optimized to have less throttling.
Oct 20 2016 | 10:15 am EDT phippsy84

I wouldn't expect anything from 2015 to work because those phones have either a snapdragon 810 or 808. The rest of the phones from 2016 will depend on when they update to 7.1 and get certified. But I would expect most flagships from 2017 to be good to go.
Oct 21 2016 | 8:24 am EDT shebamehr

Yea I had heard that ZTE Axon 7 was the "first" google daydream ready phone, but suddenly theres no mention of it by Google. I have a feeling they want to push their Pixel phones first, and then maybe open up to other manufacturers (which is why suddenly Nexus 6P isn't compatible). It's a bit...cut throat of Google and a bit out of character to exclude other phones to sell your own, but then again it looks like they're trying to follow Apple's example with the pixel...
Oct 21 2016 | 12:55 pm EDT etnichols

I can't believe the 6P isn't on the list. I can't believe Google is writing off all of the Nexus devices like this.
Oct 21 2016 | 1:07 pm EDT afazel

I'm probably being naive, but I'm hoping the Note5 will get support. I know Samsung has their own VR, but more options are better than fewer options.
Oct 21 2016 | 1:20 pm EDT mmidgley

I don't see why Google doesn't give Nexus 6P or other phones a "limited" daydream experience. The hardware can't be a complete failure.
Oct 21 2016 | 2:19 pm EDT PalakMi

I think daydream compatible devices should be rocking SD820 and up and android 7.1
Nov 07 2016 | 7:58 am EST oldtimefighter

Yes, but the 6P has the v2.1 of the 810 which is optimized to have less throttling.
Yep, less throttling than other SD810 phones but... A crap chipset is a crap chipset.
Nov 29 2016 | 8:16 am EST J Dubbs

Yea I had heard that ZTE Axon 7 was the "first" google daydream ready phone, but suddenly theres no mention of it by Google. I have a feeling they want to push their Pixel phones first, and then maybe open up to other manufacturers (which is why suddenly Nexus 6P isn't compatible). It's a bit...cut throat of Google and a bit out of character to exclude other phones to sell your own, but then again it looks like they're trying to follow Apple's example with the pixel...
Greedy sobs..... Google's getting as bad as Microsoft 😬😬😬 I'm going to skip Google's bs VR experience altogether and just pick a PlayStation pro and VR headset next year when the prices drop and the technology and games have matured. Playing half@ssed games on a pixel that costs just as much as the PlayStation setup right now is ridiculous and makes no sense at all 😠
Nov 29 2016 | 2:53 pm EST Chemy JMHT

Well the Moto Z series are another option.
Nov 29 2016 | 3:40 pm EST Russell Holly

You can side load for Nexus 6P support, but it's a poor experience. Google Pixel and Moto Z are the only officially supported phone sets at the moment.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
Dec 27 2016 | 11:11 am EST Jeff Turley

I have a Canadian Moto Z currently stuck on Marshmallow. N was supposed to start rolling out on Dec 19. Will daydream work?
Mar 22 2017 | 12:15 pm EDT pkcable

I have a Canadian Moto Z currently stuck on Marshmallow. N was supposed to start rolling out on Dec 19. Will daydream work?
Yes the Moto Z supports Daydream, BUT it must be on Nougat 7.0 or greater.