Folks,

Pardon my naivete, but what phones are Google Daydream compatible? Is it JUST the pixel phones right now? Are any other current phones up to the task? Is this an open standard like Google Cardboard and just any manufacturer can make a compatible phone? Or for that matter a clone Daydream? I guess my main concern is can I used this with my One Plus 3?

Rich
    10-05-2016 12:10 PM
    Right now, the Pixel series are the only Daydream Compatible devices on the market. Samsung, Huawei, and ZTE have stated they are developing phones that meet the standard. For right now, Cardboard is your only option with the Plus3, that I'm aware of.
    Right now, the Pixel series are the only Daydream Compatible devices on the market. Samsung, Huawei, and ZTE have stated they are developing phones that meet the standard. For right now, Cardboard is your only option with the Plus3, that I'm aware of.
    10-05-2016 12:58 PM
    But with The next software update I think some phones already on the market will fill that list, the specs of the Pixels aren't too different from other flagships.

Anyone knows something about it?
    pkcable likes this.
    10-05-2016 01:31 PM
    But with The next software update I think some phones already on the market will fill that list, the specs of the Pixels aren't too different from other flagships.

I hope you are right!
    10-05-2016 03:42 PM
    I stumbled upon the following article: http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/10/06/pi...ia-nougat-7-1/

It mentions what Pixel features will not make it to other Android devices. Those being "Assistant, as well as unlimited original quality Google Photos backup and 24/7 on-phone customer support."

But the article does contain the following: "some interesting new functionality will make its way to all Android devices, including a feature called Night Light, which, similar to Night Shift on iOS, adjusts the colour balance on a phone to make it easier on the user’s eyes during the evening. Other inbound tweaks include a Daydream VR mode, touch and display performance improvements and an optional fingerprint swipe down gesture developers can implement."

The mention of "Daydream VR mode" sounds promising provided devs implement it in future Android builds.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    Last edited by iThunderbirt; 10-06-2016 at 07:09 PM.
    10-06-2016 04:33 PM
    Folks,

Pardon my naivete, but what phones are Google Daydream compatible? Is it JUST the pixel phones right now? Are any other current phones up to the task? Is this an open standard like Google Cardboard and just any manufacturer can make a compatible phone? Or for that matter a clone Daydream? I guess my main concern is can I used this with my One Plus 3?

Rich
    At the moment

Pixel, Pixel XL & Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe,
    krisguy likes this.
    10-07-2016 02:17 AM
    ZTE isn't developing phones. They flat out say the Axon 7 is fully compatible and only lacks certification from Google. In fact they have been testing all the builds. I think Google would just as soon not certify ANY other phone until (overpriced) PIxel sales cool off. Having had the phone for a couple weeks I can tell you ZTE is great at pushing out updates and communicating with customers through their forum. I think as soon as they get Nougat they will be ready to go. They already showed their own headset but did not retail it. IMHO once the DD headset is out ZTE will be pushing sales and be fully compatible.

It pretty much equals the specs of the Pixel (the Pixel has an 821 they have an 820) plus the Axon 7 has an SD card slot. Both AMOLED. Both 2K. Half the price!
    10-12-2016 02:05 AM
    I hope they allow the previous years flagships to work eventually
    10-13-2016 11:05 AM
    Is Samsung Galaxy s6 edge compatible with daydream vr
    10-13-2016 04:13 PM
    So no word on the Nexus 6P?
    10-13-2016 05:37 PM
    Hoping they make the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge compatible. I'd really like buy one of these.
    10-14-2016 06:27 AM
    Someone might have already asked this question, but I am just wondering if anyone knows if the Nexus 6p will be Daydream compatible?
    10-14-2016 06:34 PM

My understanding is a phone needs the proper sensors to be Daydream compatible. Google needs to also officially support any phone that works with Daydream (that doesn't mean someone can't hack it to work) so a software update will not be enough.

At the moment

Pixel, Pixel XL & Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe,
    Only ASUS says the Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe is compatible... Google makes the call on that so right now officially it's only the Pixel and the Pixel XL. https://vr.google.com/daydream/phones/

Is Samsung Galaxy s6 edge compatible with daydream vr
    No...

Someone might have already asked this question, but I am just wondering if anyone knows if the Nexus 6p will be Daydream compatible?
    The Nexus 6P works with the Daydream development kit but Google has already said it won't be supported on the consumer version.
    10-14-2016 07:03 PM
    Seems insane that the 6P and 5X aren't included...
    10-14-2016 07:26 PM
    Seems insane that the 6P and 5X aren't included...
    Not really... The SD810 already has tons of bad press for getting hot and throttling under load so how is that chipset a good choice for VR?
    10-15-2016 01:47 PM
    So far pixel and pixel xl, and the axon 7 which is capable, but I think it will be ready when android 7.1 hits it
    10-15-2016 02:48 PM
    Does anyone know the exact specs that make a phone Daydream compatible?
    10-16-2016 11:29 AM
    This looks like the best value for a VR experience. I'm going to hold off until more Daydream compatible phones are available.

I really like the design.
    10-16-2016 12:04 PM
    Pixel is the only with Samsung an others to follow
    10-16-2016 02:23 PM
    Pixel is the only with Samsung an others to follow
    Yes, and not to forget the cheapest option, axon 7 will be compatible once 7.1 hits it
    10-17-2016 06:53 AM
    I hope Google opens it up to other OEMS / Manufacturers.

We'll see down the line. As for now, I ordered the early 2016 Gear VR on sale from Amazon to test the waters..
    10-17-2016 08:04 AM
    Do you think there is any possibility of the Nexus 6p being supported??
    10-17-2016 02:00 PM
    Do you think there is any possibility of the Nexus 6p being supported??
    Officially no, but maybe an unofficial support (which is unlikely to happen)
    10-18-2016 04:40 PM
    My LG G4 gets hot using cardboard and the 808 chip didn't have any over heating issues.
    10-18-2016 08:21 PM
    Not really... The SD810 already has tons of bad press for getting hot and throttling under load so how is that chipset a good choice for VR?
    Yes, but the 6P has the v2.1 of the 810 which is optimized to have less throttling.
    10-20-2016 04:45 AM
37 12