According to Kudan, maker of an augmented reality SDK for mobile, the iPhone 7's dual camera setup is just not suitable for augmented reality.

In their post they say:
    Sadly this assumption is incorrect. The reasons for it being:

The distance between the lenses is simply too small
    The focal length differs between the lenses
    The distance between the lenses is of importance as the small baseline means only features very near to the cameras will appear measurably different across the views. For typical indoor environments, you would want a baseline of at least 20mm to allow you distinguish depth up to a few meters away.

The focal length difference means that the field of view between the cameras is different i.e. only a certain part of the image would match across the two camera feeds. This means that it would be harder to match the images.

- See more at: https://www.kudan.eu/kudan-news/ipho....9nedUaNy.dpuf
    It seems a bit short-sighted. If they had taken AR into account they could have had all the same benefits that they have with two cameras now plus the additional AR functionality.
    09-26-2016 01:07 PM
    According to Kudan, maker of an augmented reality SDK for mobile, the iPhone 7's dual camera setup is just not suitable for augmented reality.

In their post they say:

It seems a bit short-sighted. If they had taken AR into account they could have had all the same benefits that they have with two cameras now plus the additional AR functionality.
    Yes I think they installed two cameras more for the photo world, but I think that maybe some deeper algorithm may help to have more data, as the dynamic video algorithms I had a wonderful Nokia N900 a lot of years ago and some of the camera apps allows me to measure distance (with a huge error) but it was an 8 years old phone with a 5Mpx camera.

Right now there is also the option to add some gadgets almost any phone to improve a lot of things.

I only have a little hope about it because I'm about to receive one regular one and of course I want it VR and AR lol.
    09-26-2016 09:52 PM
    So no headphone jack, $160 Air Pods and not very good choice for AR, Iphone 7 not looking very attractive lol
    09-26-2016 10:18 PM
    So no headphone jack, $160 Air Pods and not very good choice for AR, Iphone 7 not looking very attractive lol
    Maybe is as good as a flagship from another brand, but there is not enough development (software and hardware) for Apple devices so far.
    09-27-2016 10:15 AM
    This is kind of disappointing. I'm hoping the new audio setup will offer some cool stereo audio, but it's looking like this is not the year for Apple and VR.
    krisguy likes this.
    09-27-2016 12:50 PM
    Nope. It'll only be compatible with VR, when Apple makes it's own VR device..
    09-27-2016 02:03 PM
    Well sure, but that doesn't mean there can't be some fun had in the mean time. Cardboard apps don't look as nice as they do on the Note 7, but the inertial sensors make head tracking a little nicer.
    09-28-2016 08:40 AM
    Maybe is as good as a flagship from another brand, but there is not enough development (software and hardware) for Apple devices so far.
    So far from what I said and what you said, it looks like Apple is shooting themselves in the foot with the Iphone 7, it's not very appealing considering all the drawbacks, I'll stick with Samsung Android phones for now.
    09-28-2016 09:51 PM
    So when do you think that will be? Looking more and more like a cold day in hell lol.
    09-28-2016 09:52 PM
    I'm pretty sure Apple is going to focus primarily on AR. Probably for the iPhone 8.
    10-10-2016 07:53 PM
    Also, iPhone's small screen resolution is no good for VR.
    10-22-2016 05:31 AM
    It's a shame, apple really missed the boat with VR, especially with the google pixel/daydream release.
    10-26-2016 02:05 AM
    Like someone said Apple would never make their device specifically compatible with any other company's device or Technology.... That would be playing second fiddle... The iPhone will be VR /AR compatible only when Apple makes it's own VR /AR device and the device itself will be compatible only with Apple devices... That's just the way they do it... A bit annoying for some people but there you are...
    10-29-2016 07:26 AM
    Also, iPhone's small screen resolution is no good for VR.
    I would imagine when they did VR, that they would up the resolution.
    10-29-2016 09:26 AM