Real holographic displays are becoming a thing

Real holographic displays are becoming a thing - The Verge

Now is the time for real life hologram. No glasses needed. And people are developing this right now.

My only question is: if this thing succeeds, why would we need a Hololens?
    VirtuaTyKing and Chii_Dev like this.
    11-07-2016 05:25 AM
    Interesting find! It's an incredible achievement but clearly it's still in the early stages of progression.
    11-07-2016 05:58 AM
    Interesting find! It's an incredible achievement but clearly it's still in the early stages of progression.
    What's your take? Will it become more useful than Hololens?
    11-07-2016 06:01 AM
    I mean if we can have real life hologram and we don't need AR Glasses. Why would you choose an AR glasses like Hololens?
    Isn't it more practical than wearing Hololens?
    11-07-2016 06:04 AM
    What's your take? Will it become more useful than Hololens?
    I would guess probably in the very long run. Not sure how you could properly interact with it though without an interface and it would need a huge base to enlarge the hologram I imagine. At least in the way it's currently being achieved. Not that I have a clue mind you what that base is doing. It's very cool though and exciting. Maybe that Jaws hologram in Back to the future II wasn't sci fi after all.
    Chii_Dev likes this.
    11-07-2016 06:24 AM
    Although in theory I don't see why a VR type positional tracking device couldn't be used to interface with it. Then again as soon as an object is placed between the base and the hologram the hologram gets disturbed. Food for thought isn't it.
    11-07-2016 06:44 AM
    I think that Hololens is a different product. Such a holographic display is like a monitor for our desktops. I has to be placed somewhere while with the hololens you can move around the place and interact with things anywhere. Of course, the holographic display doesn't need you to put something on your head and frees you completely. Also there are substantial differences when it comes to input. Anyhow, every product has a different approach with its own cons and pros. Certainly good times ahead for all of us tech enthusiasts
    11-07-2016 10:19 AM
    Excellent. We are getting close to having AR monitors like this one from the movie Paycheck:
    Real Holographic Displays Are Becoming A Thing-tumblr_nhx6zlw0ks1t0p0rro6_1280.jpg
    LezCronut likes this.
    11-07-2016 10:41 PM
    HoloLens holograms are personal, while real holograms are open for everyone to see, that's the main difference. You wouldn't want to permanently replace your phone screen with the livingroom TV.
    11-08-2016 03:50 AM
    Cool idea, though it just doesn't seem engaging enough for me (in it's current form), also $750 is rather costly.

(Maybe as the technology advances something could come from this, though I don't see this happening in the immediate future).
    11-08-2016 01:53 PM
    I think I read something about it here somewhere, the people was also able to "touch" it, I mean, the holograms reacts to the proximity or interference of the obstacles in the projection space.

Really great technology to be available soon
    Chii_Dev likes this.
    11-21-2016 11:19 PM