The technology, developed by DoubleMe and Ravensbourne, uses eight cameras to generate a live 3D video image that can be fed to an AR headset. Highfield says the HoloPortal's feed is still lower-resolution, as is currently standard throughout the industry. But within a year, the HoloLens team will be able to capture 4K video, and the writer imagines meetings "where you're speaking face-to-face with someone who's on the other side of the world."

It's a pretty interesting technology right now, but also pretty expensive for us (the mortals) and I think even for the developers (DoubleMe and Ravensbourne) who are bringing it here but maybe not for those developers to come to use this tech as I understand it uses the same programs as Unity and similar tools, the hard part will be the 3D scanners for the users when they want to interact with real object inside of the Holoportal

Source:
    I?ve seen the future of augmented reality, and it?s called HoloPortal
    12-14-2016 11:13 PM
    Cool! Imagine if this could be used in the field of medicine?

A 3D model scan sent to the doctor say part of your arm. He or she then dawn's an HMD (Hololens maybe?) unit and is able to observe what is causing you pain. Problem found, they then administer the proper procedure to help heal your arm.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    12-15-2016 06:35 AM
    Probably work well in interior design also!
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    12-15-2016 09:44 AM
    I don't know why the article linked at the bottom is sending to a wrong link, well it's the article again:

I?ve seen the future of augmented reality, and it?s called HoloPortal | Alphr

Worth the reading, I think it will work for almost everything
    12-17-2016 11:21 PM
    It's gonna be cool when this technology can get really high quality feeds of people. It'll be like they are right there.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    12-18-2016 02:21 PM