AR startup Blippar has added real-time facial recognition technology to its mobile app.

Blippar, the AR company that lets you see extra, rich content by simply pointing your phone at an object and now even people.

Users scan or Blipp faces through their smartphone cameras, which unlocks an AR experience if the person being Blipped has an existing AR profile.

The profile shows an AR halo surrounding the persons head, with the five points of the halo linking to more profile information like favorite music and celebrity look-alike. Blippar has created profiles for 70,000 public figures, and eventually users will be able to create their own profile through the apps selfie mode.

Sources:

12-16-2016 10:24 PM
    12-28-2016 08:07 AM
    And people were worried about Google Glass's potential invasion of privacy, lol.

That said, I seem to recall an idea a while back where people could have AR markers on their shirts or something to provide a service like this. That one never went anywhere, but now that AR's becoming more popular, this one might. It's a cool idea.
    12-29-2016 05:20 AM
    Well, people went crazy when Facebook changed their privacy settings and still is the larger Social Network, also the same with all the monitoring on their Smartphones and nothing happens in the end.

I think we will be smarter to share just the info we want, at least a few.
    12-29-2016 11:52 PM
    Well I don't want strangers scanning/taking pictures of my face randomly just feels weird, like suddenly everyone secret agents gathering info on you.
    Just going to know everything about person via scanning your face, even though i know you can set privacy.. I hope.
    12-30-2016 07:43 PM
    At least this is an app for you phone, others are just glasses which looks like regular eye glasses and are collecting and recording info, in this case I think you at least should ask "may I Blippar you?" or something like that.
    Talkivr likes this.
    12-30-2016 09:03 PM
    At least this is an app for you phone, others are just glasses which looks like regular eye glasses and are collecting and recording info, in this case I think you at least should ask "may I Blippar you?" or something like that.
    Lol yeah true slightly less odd feeling.
    Yes you may Blippar me.
    12-31-2016 11:10 AM
    Lol yeah true slightly less odd feeling.
    Yes you may Blippar me.
    I remember when we used to say "I will search it on internet" instead of "I will google it" :P
    01-11-2017 08:45 PM
    This app is awesome. Its great to see the kind of work they are doing in AR. Another app I came across is WOWSOME. It has partnered with some of the largest global brands and conducted amazing events. Check out http://wowso.me/
    09-14-2017 07:31 AM