I watched a stream last night by fellow poster krisguy on Beam. While watching the stream, we see him use a variatey of tools to make art in 3D form. Among his tools, he uses a desktop with Autodesk Fusion. Watching his stream got me thinking, why not use AR to help build your 3D model and then send it to your 3D printer?

The AR of choice I would pick would be Hololens. I beleive using Hololens would benefit the artist to see a true 3D representation of their work. Granted, Autodesk Fusion does give the creator the option to move the object in different angles but it is still represented in 2D and at times could be a challenge to know if your work will appread OK or not.

Maybe one day, AR will bring a new way for artists to create new 3D sculptures.
    EgoAnt likes this.
    02-07-2017 10:11 PM
    I'd probably choose the Meta 2 headset over the HoloLens for this. The Meta is tethered so it can use all the horsepower of a desktop computer, plus it is designed for interactions on the desktop and in a space around the computer, while the HoloLens is more for objects at 4+ feet away from you.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    02-08-2017 09:59 AM
    I think VR is lacking of one factor to be more powerful in that way, and is having a tool like Project Tango which measures real work translate it to VR and then being able to work in VR, maybe that way will be even more powerful than AR.

Let explain a little, imagine you want to 3D print some pieces for a Bike, in AR you might be limited for the position of the bike and your point of view, but if you capture and translate it to 3D data in VR you will be able to move around the bike in any direction, even inside the bike.

I saw something similar made in Oculus Medium but I can't find it to expand my example.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    02-08-2017 09:40 PM
    So here's the fun part. With Unreal getting a VR interface soon, I'm sure that Autodesk is looking at adding a VR/AR interface for AutoCAD, Maya, and Fusion soon.
    Firegold21 likes this.
    02-08-2017 11:34 PM
    So here's the fun part. With Unreal getting a VR interface soon, I'm sure that Autodesk is looking at adding a VR/AR interface for AutoCAD, Maya, and Fusion soon.
    AMEN!

VR even when it's not in the best shape is the tech of the near future.

I keep thinking that 3D printing and every tech tool like Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc should be on schools.
    02-09-2017 07:21 AM
    I think tech for this is coming very soon. And yes, I agree it would be very cool to design 3D stuff in a virtual 3D environment. Whether intended for 3D printing or regular engineering, etc uses.

And like Kris said, I'm excited about Unreal adding VR support.
    02-11-2017 06:22 PM
    What exactly that means? because Unreal is able to do some great VR now (I think), like the demo "Showdown" but I guess something was not totally suited for VR with Unreal and that's what you are talking.
    02-12-2017 06:35 PM
    What exactly that means? because Unreal is able to do some great VR now (I think), like the demo "Showdown" but I guess something was not totally suited for VR with Unreal and that's what you are talking.
    Unreal is adding the ability to design games and apps while IN VR. So instead of developing on a desktop, then putting on an HMD to test, you can design and develop with the HMD on.
    02-13-2017 10:09 AM
    Unreal is adding the ability to design games and apps while IN VR. So instead of developing on a desktop, then putting on an HMD to test, you can design and develop with the HMD on.
    Designing games/apps must be pretty unique in VR. At least this should give developers the tools they will need to make their VR app.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    02-13-2017 03:11 PM
    OK, that's great!

I think it can makes easy to develop some stuff.

Thanks for the info.
    02-13-2017 03:21 PM
    No problem. I'm looking forward to it, like I said. Might be easier than using the desktop environment ... just like the Hololens allows for catching errors and bad measurements before beginning actual work, this could allow you to catch misaligned walls and floors, etc., much quicker than you would otherwise.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    02-13-2017 03:39 PM