Smart phones for VR are ridiculously expensive. Why can't the Big guys manufacture a Tablet for half the price of a smart phone that is VR compatible?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-28-2016 05:34 PM
    I like it.

Telephony certification is big expense and cutting that out would help keep down costs.

Let's see:
    5.5", IPS LCD, 1440 x 2560, 509 ppi
    Snapdragon 615 to not break the bank, yet still power WQHD, clock it at the max 1.7 GHz
    32GB internal storage
    4GB RAM
    16MP rear camera
    SD card support for UHS-I
    Marshmallow for adoptable storage
    Proximity, Accelorometer, Gyro, Magnetometer

What else? Plenty of air vents...

Could they bring it in at $150?

If you want to add your own spec list please Join the Forum.
    12-28-2016 06:36 PM
    Samsung used to make versions of their Galaxy S series without cellular (like their version of the iPod Touch), but the numbers went nowhere. Reviving that line for Gear VR might not be a bad idea.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-28-2016 07:47 PM
    Well the shell headsets are popular because pretty much everyone has a phone already. There isn't a demand for a non-phone device even just for VR. They do make headsets that are essentially this where its the phone built into the headset but they haven't caught on.

We have phones that are relatively cheap that can do VR (Think OnePlus, Zenphones etc) so there probably isn't much to be saved for such a niche market for a manufacturer to waste the resources on it.
    12-28-2016 10:39 PM
    We have phones that are relatively cheap that can do VR (Think OnePlus, Zenphones etc) so there probably isn't much to be saved for such a niche market for a manufacturer to waste the resources on it.
    Samsung used to make versions of their Galaxy S series without cellular (like their version of the iPod Touch), but the numbers went nowhere. Reviving that line for Gear VR might not be a bad idea.
    I used to think I'd be better off with one of those devices instead of their phones, as I don't make many phone calls. I do, however, consume a lot of internet while out and about, though, so cellular would still be needed for me, lol. That said, it might not be a bad idea to revive that line. Or for that matter, what about making something like the LG Flex? Have that curved display so you can get a little more perceived FOV out of it.

Unfortunately, I think pjs37 is right and there's not enough ROI for a big company to justify that.
    krisguy and pjs37 like this.
    12-29-2016 05:46 AM
    Unfortunately, I think pjs37 is right and there's not enough ROI for a big company to justify that.
    Possibly true, but what about peripheral sales? Add on software and hardware sales to augment the initial product?

If someone did it right...

I think I forgot a hardware component in my list above. What about IR blaster? I mean the thing should make a nice standalone "couch tablet" when not docked in the VR viewer and it could double as a remote control for your home entertainment.

VR/AR is on the move. If you could package a usable 5-6" mini tablet with decent specs together with a VR Headset and strap for $150... What else do they need?
    • A quality set of headphones
    • A joystick controller
    • Memory card to expand storage
    • Extra long charging cables
    • Possible camera add ons for AR and 360 capture
    • Exclusive content and subscription content
    • Travel cases

Just like Android handsets themselves, a lot of the money is in after market sales.

Who better to leverage this than one of the big names? You better believe the alibaba crowd is lining up to grab a slice of the pie.

Put a well respected brand on it and it will sell more units. Why would you buy the HTC memory card? Because it includes a hot VR game. Why would you but the Sony headphones? Because it comes with a one month pass to their VR channel.

I thought that the VR field was about imagination...
    12-29-2016 12:30 PM
    Possibly true, but what about peripheral sales? Add on software and hardware sales to augment the initial product?

If someone did it right...

I think I forgot a hardware component in my list above. What about IR blaster? I mean the thing should make a nice standalone "couch tablet" when not docked in the VR viewer and it could double as a remote control for your home entertainment.

VR/AR is on the move. If you could package a usable 5-6" mini tablet with decent specs together with a VR Headset and strap for $150... What else do they need?
    • A quality set of headphones
    • A joystick controller
    • Memory card to expand storage
    • Extra long charging cables
    • Possible camera add ons for AR and 360 capture
    • Exclusive content and subscription content
    • Travel cases

Just like Android handsets themselves, a lot of the money is in after market sales.

Who better to leverage this than one of the big names? You better believe the alibaba crowd is lining up to grab a slice of the pie.

Put a well respected brand on it and it will sell more units. Why would you buy the HTC memory card? Because it includes a hot VR game. Why would you but the Sony headphones? Because it comes with a one month pass to their VR channel.

I thought that the VR field was about imagination...
    I am just saying this as a point of discussion so please don't feel like I am trying to attack you I just find this an interesting discussion.

What they need is an actual market. Which there is no market for a normal tablet; let alone a slow, small tablet that can happened to be shoved into a shell which is also services by the smartphone market which itself is experiencing issues. Its got nothing to do with imagination and more to do with the realities of the market. Those who are curious about VR are extremely likely to have a smart phone already.

Now what you will see more of and we already see this and likely through the Alibaba crowd is the guts of Android phones shoved into shells and sold as standalone VR headsets.
    Firegold21, RumoredNow and krisguy like this.
    12-29-2016 05:59 PM
    I am just saying this as a point of discussion so please don't feel like I am trying to attack you I just find this an interesting discussion.

What they need is an actual market. Which there is no market for a normal tablet; let alone a slow, small tablet that can happened to be shoved into a shell which is also services by the smartphone market which itself is experiencing issues. Its got nothing to do with imagination and more to do with the realities of the market. Those who are curious about VR are extremely likely to have a smart phone already.

Now what you will see more of and we already see this and likely through the Alibaba crowd is the guts of Android phones shoved into shells and sold as standalone VR headsets.
    I would love it if RumoredNow's idea came to pass. That would be awesome and would meet a lot of my needs: I'd love to have a VR device that my wife, my son and I can *all* use and doesn't require tying up someone's phone. If I win the current contest and get an Oculus Rift, that would meet that need also; however, I doubt I'll win. That leaves either buying a new phone that's just for VR or something like this idea.

Will it happen? I still have to say it probably won't. Would it be a good idea if it did? I think it would, but are there enough "firegold21s" in the world to justify it for a big company? That I don't know.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-29-2016 08:32 PM
    I pretty much am always flush with phones. I have 6 of them right now. 2 are retired from phone use and are just camera/travel companions. 1 is just a toy to play with Firefox OS. 1 is a backup and 1 is my daily driver.

I just got the 6th. I tried to like Android again, I just can't do it. It simply doesn't fit my usage patterns. Oh well. Now it will be dedicated to VR with the headset I just got today. Hey it was only $70, no big whoop and at least the platform has a lot of VR material for me to chew through.

So I'm in at $100 for the phone and the VR headset. Not too shabby. The phone will likely never see a SIM inserted again, but the device will get a workout.

I'd have gladly bought a tablet style with VR goggles instead. And I would have expected upgrades over what I did get in terms of VR readiness along with some tablet like touches. I don't think that it has to be all that slow and a big compromise all the way around to meet an attractive price. We aren't talking about superphone specs for this class of device. At least I'm not and neither was the OP.
    Why can't the Big guys manufacture a Tablet for half the price of a smart phone that is VR compatible?
    I still think my spec wish list above could come in at or near $150 retail with a big name leveraging their parts buying power.

I'd love to have a VR device that my wife, my son and I can *all* use and doesn't require tying up someone's phone.
    I can't do anything but agree with the above. And there is your market...
    12-29-2016 09:26 PM
    Smart phones for VR are ridiculously expensive. Why can't the Big guys manufacture a Tablet for half the price of a smart phone that is VR compatible?
    As 'krisguy' mentioned Apple did something similar to this with their iPod Touch. it looked almost identical to their iPhone line but did not have the cellular connectivity which reduced the cost. Which is nice. I think that until VR becomes more main stream (which I'm sure it will) manufactures are trying to build VR features into things we already purchase and use on a daily basis. This saves us time from having to go out and purchase a separate device.

Kinda like including a camera in your phone and saving your from having to purchase a point and shoot. Obviously the point and shoot will normally be better than the smartphone but its an extra cost. Just my 2c.
    pjs37 and RumoredNow like this.
    12-30-2016 03:57 AM
    As 'krisguy' mentioned Apple did something similar to this with their iPod Touch. it looked almost identical to their iPhone line but did not have the cellular connectivity which reduced the cost. Which is nice. I think that until VR becomes more main stream (which I'm sure it will) manufactures are trying to build VR features into things we already purchase and use on a daily basis. This saves us time from having to go out and purchase a separate device.

Kinda like including a camera in your phone and saving your from having to purchase a point and shoot. Obviously the point and shoot will normally be better than the smartphone but its an extra cost. Just my 2c.
    That is basically it.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-30-2016 08:15 AM
    Yeah i'd prefer usable convenience over buying something seperate for one feature but I think it's always good to still have a option for high quality while cheap for specific features. As for ipod they are expensive now $400 my friend replaced his after stolen so most people just get a phone cause it has all the features and more. Though he cant use phones at his work.
    12-31-2016 02:11 PM