Hi, a VR/health question. Consistent and prolonged close point eye strain (staring at a monitor) leads to eye damage in the long term. The way to fix that - move the focal point further away (VR).

Imagine sitting in the last row of a cinema, with the screen displaying my desktop environment. It's all flat, but the focal point of the whole thing is 10-20 metres away.

Things I'm looking for:
    - Compatibility - to be able to run any program (office, games, etc) as on my monitor, just projected on a flat surface in VR
    - High resolution - because of the distance and not looking around much, I guess high resolution is much more important than frame rate/responsiveness
    - Ease of use - to be able to start it quickly
    - Easily change the focal distance - to be able to move easily and quickly the distance at which the desktop flat surface is located (from about 5m to at least about 15m away)

Do you think this is a viable and healthier way to replace a workstation monitor - i.e. to use that about 10 hours a day? My eyes have just started degrading because of constant monitor use and I want to fix that without ditching technology.

Thanks a lot!
    07-27-2017 12:04 PM
    Very interesting question, and I'm not sure if VR is the answer for you. I will do a bit of research and see if I can get any expert help to try to answer this.

Welcome to VRHeads! Please join the site. Here's how....
    07-28-2017 07:55 AM
    >Do you think this is a viable and healthier way to replace a workstation monitor

No. I don't think this will be the case for the foreseeable future. VR is for an immersive experience, not something casual and sustainable like regular work.

Might I suggest a projector?
    07-31-2017 12:24 PM
    There is a way, as laid out in this article by our own Cale Hunt: How to stream your PC desktop to your Gear VR. This requires an NVidia-based GPU, however; if you don't have one, you're better off looking into Trinus VR (available through Sideload VR) or Vridge Riftcat.
    pkcable and iThunderbirt like this.
    07-31-2017 05:01 PM