I'm considering buying new headphones. I own a Windows 10 PC and an Xbox One S, and when I'm using my headphones (Sony MDR-AS800AP headphones with Comply tips) with either of them, I use Dolby Atmos for Headphones (Windows Sonic for Headphones is also an option). I wonder if anyone here has any information about what headphones to buy to get the most accurate virtual positional audio, or if there's something that I can add to these headphones that will work with both PC and Xbox One and that will improve the localization of the sounds, because with both Windows Sonic for Headphones and Dolby Atmos for Headphones, together with my Sony MDR-AS800AP headphones, sound that should sound like it is in front of me does not sound like it is in front of me. It sounds like it is off to my right side and left side. Sound that is supposed to come from behind me DOES sound like it is coming from behind me. I've read that everyone has their own HRTF (Head-Related Transfer Function), so maybe my HRTF is to blame, but in case it is my headphones that are the problem, I want to know anything that I need to know to choose a headphones that will give me the best virtual spatial audio experience with my Xbox and my PC, and if there's anything that I can add to my PC and to my Xbox, then I'd like to know about that as well.

I don't own a VR/AR/mixed-reality headset and don't plan on buying one right now, so perhaps I'm over-thinking this, but I'm considering buying new headphones right now and in case I DO decide to get a VR/AR/mixed-reality headset in the future, I want to make sure that it'll work with my headphones.

I said "VR/AR/mixed-reality" because I want to be inclusive of all VR/AR/mixed-reality headsets, not just VR headsets, even if all consumer headsets are VR headsets right now.

Are there any comfort-related issues I should beware of before I buy new headphones when it comes to using them with a VR/AR/mixed-reality headset?

I WILL be using my headphones to watch TV shows and movies (without a VR/AR/mixed-reality headset), so I'm interested in virtualized spatial audio. I own a Windows 10 PC and an Xbox One S, and when I'm using my headphones (Sony MDR-AS800AP) with either of them I use Dolby Atmos for Headphones (Windows Sonic for Headphones is also an option). My Sony MDR-AS800APs were built to be used while exercising (they're sweatproof and waterproof) and I use them when I go to the gym and when I run outside. Note that the Comply foam tips that I use them with when I'm exercising--the Sport Pro tips with waxguard--are probably not waterproof, but they are designed to accommodate sweat. When I use the cardiovascular workout machines--such as one of the elliptical machines--I prop my Surface Pro up on the machine's control panel, plug my headphones into it, and stream a TV show or YouTube video, so virtualized spatial audio is important when I use my headphones with my Surface, wherever I am (at home or at the gym). When I'm at home and want to watch something on my TV without disturbing anyone, I plug my headphones into my Xbox One S controller's headphone jack and I replace the Sport Pro tips with Comfort Pro tips.

For games, I might get headphones that have a microphone that sticks out in front of my face, because with my MDR-AS800APs, which have an inline mic (not one that sticks out in front of my face), other people whom I'm playing with can probably barely hear me speak.

Note: I'm used to referring to headphones as 'headsets' when they include a microphone, and I guess that that might become confusing when we're also talking about VR, AR, and mixed-reality *headsets*. I'll try to use the word 'headphones' in this discussion when I'm talking about headphones.
    Last edited by Drew Neilson; 04-23-2019 at 09:13 AM. Reason: I added content to my question.
    04-23-2019 01:15 AM
    @Drew Neilson, I am reaching out to others for help here, please standby.
    04-23-2019 08:16 AM
    Hello, I did a little quick search and it does not appear that your Sony’s support Dolby Atmos. While I can’t recommend any headphones in particular that I haven’t used, I did find numerous headphones that support Dolby Atmos around the $100 price point. Most of them are gaming headsets as well, so they should be what you’re looking for. Since I can’t recommend anything personally, I can say just searching Dolby Atmos headphones will bring up a number of options at Best Buy and probably more on Amazon. Hopefully this helps you out a bit.
    pkcable likes this.
    04-23-2019 09:08 AM
    Thanks @pkcable. I just added new information to my post. If you sent the people that you reached out to copies of text from my original post, would you mind sending them my updated post? Hopefully they will read my updated post before they respond.
    @metllicamilitia I just added new information to my post. As for Dolby Atmos for Headphones and Windows Sonic for Headphones, the virtualization is done in software on Windows 10 and on Xbox One, so in theory, I'm supposed to be able to use any pair of headphones, not just special ones that have decoding functionality built-in. With that said, I explained pretty much my current experience with my current setup, and that I'd like to make it better.
    04-23-2019 09:19 AM
    Thanks @pkcable. I just added new information to my post. If you sent the people that you reached out to copies of text from my original post, would you mind sending them my updated post? Hopefully they will read my updated post before they respond.
    @metllicamilitia I just added new information to my post. As for Dolby Atmos for Headphones and Windows Sonic for Headphones, the virtualization is done in software on Windows 10 and on Xbox One, so in theory, I'm supposed to be able to use any pair of headphones, not just special ones that have decoding functionality built-in. With that said, I explained pretty much my current experience with my current setup, and that I'd like to make it better.
    I did some more reading into Dolby Atmos for Headphones, and found that it just creates virtual speakers essentially. So in that case, it seems it would be budget dependent for recommendations. I would say you want the widest soundstage you can get for your budget. That varies based on in-ear, buds, and headphones. At the lower end you’ll always have a more present bass, and if bass isn’t an issue for you, Sennheiser is always a good choice. Jays makes some good budget options as well. I really my A-Jays for the price. With sound being such a personal experience it’s hard to make a definitive recommendation.

EDIT: I will continue doing some research to see if I can find more definitive suggestions.
    04-23-2019 09:40 AM
    @metallicamilitia The thing is, when it comes to the parts of my post that are about virtual spatial sound over headphones, I really need advice from people who've used virtual spatial sound over headphones (such as Dolby Atmos for Headphones and Windows Sonic for Headphones), and you sound a little unfamiliar with it. As for headphone type, I prefer closed-back over open-back because I don't want other people to be able to hear what I'm listening to, but depending on cost, I suppose that if open-back headphones would give better virtual spatial sound, I could buy an open-back pair that I only use at home, where I won't be bothering other people, and use a separate pair of closed-back over-, on-, or in-ear headphones when I'm not at home and am somewhere I'm around other people. I'm not really a fan of that idea, because I'd prefer to have my TV shows and other videos sound equally good, no matter where I am. Still, I might get different pairs of headphones for different purposes; one pair that is designed for exercise (sweat-friendly and water-proof) and a separate pair that is on-ear or over-ear because one thing I've learned about these in-ear-monitors is that my ears begin to itch if I have them in my ears for a long time. And I want to be able to use my headphones for hours at a time with minimal discomfort.
    I will never use ear buds (the kind that rest on the outer portion of people's ear canals). Unlike in-ear monitors, they do not create a seal that improves sound quality and reduces external sound. Besides, when you exercise with them, they immediately fall out. Those are the reasons that I don't use the Apple ear buds that came with my iPhone. I'd consider on-ear headphones and over-ear headphones; I prefer ones that are portable. I have to have at least one pair of headphones that has a microphone that picks up my voice good enough when I'm playing a game that other players can hear me.
    What about the issue of compatibility with VR/AR/mixed-reality headsets? If I ever decided to buy such a headset, I'd expect it to be compatible with my headphones. Are there any issues that I need to be aware of?
    04-23-2019 10:58 AM
    @Drew Neilson, I did a cross site search for you, and found a number of blogs and threads on Dolby Atmos, maybe some are helpful?

https://www.vrheads.com/search/atmos%20headphones
    04-24-2019 08:32 AM