Hi, I have heard a lot about the supersampling "hack" for the HTC Vive.
    Will a GTX 1060 be able to do supersampling in order to get a much better clarity?
    And has anyone of you tried supersampling on a VR headset it and can share is impressions?

Thanks!
    01-11-2017 08:42 PM
    Hi, I have heard a lot about the supersampling "hack" for the HTC Vive.
    Will a GTX 1060 be able to do supersampling in order to get a much better clarity?
    And has anyone of you tried supersampling on a VR headset it and can share is impressions?

Thanks!
    I have used Chaperone Switcher a few times. With a 1070. It's kind of hit and miss. Some games which don't look graphically demanding fail to scale well. Emily wants to play for example.
    Some games that you think would be more demanding like Eagle Flight for example do scale well.

I personally think it's related to a cpu bottleneck caused by certain game engine's or possibly optimisation issues. Just a guess though.

Supersampling does make a hell of a difference to clarity in certain game but in others not so much. It's should be thought of as a luxury though.
    GustavMahler likes this.
    01-12-2017 01:30 PM
    I am wondering if supersampling should be a reason to get a gtx 1080.
    From other people's impressions it seems like it really changes everything and that it is the greatest thing to happen in VR, ever.
    I have waited for VR for SO long (I was 15 or 16 when I first saw the first Oculus Rift back in 2012, and today I am a 20 years old young man. In other words, I have waited almost a quarter of my life for virtual reality to be REALITY!)
    Thus I want to have the best experience possible.
    On the other hand, as a 20 yo student-investing in upgrading an already good GPU to the 1080 can seem like a waste of money-that is when supersampling won't make a noticeable difference.
    01-12-2017 07:08 PM
    No matter the gpu power some games just don't play nice with supersampling. I also have i7 4790k@ 4.5 OC so it's not like my cpu is a bottleneck. Maybe it's not being utilised properly.
    More power the better in other circumstances of course.

Some games have supersampling options built in. Sportbar VR looks so much better supersampled.

Anyhow I'm all about bang for buck. The 1070 is the sweet spot for me currently. The 970 was a sweeter deal at the time though.
    I would hope Vega in the least brings nvidia prices down.
    01-12-2017 07:57 PM
    I guess we would be better off waiting for the 1080ti-not only because it will certainly be a terrific card that will blow any other card out of the water (except the Titan X of course),
    but also because the prices of the 1080 will significantly go down, and there'll also be many opportunities to buy second hand 1080s for cheap (well, everything is relative..!) since I guess a lot of people will want to get the new and shiny 1080ti.

It will be released in March though, so we have some time to wait.

So I guess my best bet would be to wait until it comes out and then see.
    01-12-2017 09:05 PM
    It will be released in March though, so we have some time to wait.
    Didn't know when it was due. I probably won't be able to justify upgrading for a while yet though.
    01-13-2017 07:42 PM
    I heard the new VEGA series won't be really as powerful as we may want, but as VirtuaTyKing said it will pressure NVIDIA to lower a bit the prices.

So, I will say wait, try with your actual setup and if you ca and feel the need, upgrade.
    GustavMahler likes this.
    01-15-2017 07:58 PM