Hello,

I know my question is akward and I'm probably asking you to compare oranges with apples but after having compared many smartphones, the two remaining ones have different displays.

One has a Full HD AMOLED (5.5') display and the other one has a QHD (5.5') display which is IPS.
    If we consider that I can only choose one of those two phones, which one will bring the best VR experience ? (I ended up with those 2 phones because VR is not a mandatory requirement today).

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
    Maxime
    03-10-2017 08:39 AM
    Hi there!

This is a great question, and unfortunately it has a very clear answer. I say unfortunately because, while QHD IPS displays would be great for image density, the refresh rates of LCD displays are too low for visually pleasing VR. You wind up with a low motion to photon latency, so the image appears slightly blurred compared to the AMOLED display.

In this situation, almost no motion blur is more important than pixel density and image resolution. AMOLED wins.
    Hi there!

This is a great question, and unfortunately it has a very clear answer. I say unfortunately because, while QHD IPS displays would be great for image density, the refresh rates of LCD displays are too low for visually pleasing VR. You wind up with a low motion to photon latency, so the image appears slightly blurred compared to the AMOLED display.

In this situation, almost no motion blur is more important than pixel density and image resolution. AMOLED wins.
    Firegold21 and krisguy like this.
    03-10-2017 09:16 AM
    Fluid movement is the biggest key to any VR setup. AR even more so. To confirm with Russell, there's a reason that Google set the Daydream standards to AMOLED screens for both Daydream and Tango
    03-11-2017 03:06 AM