How can I start a VR experience, then pass the headset to someone else? My son wants to use it, but I want to control what he's seeing.

He is only 6 years old, so I don't want the full VR experience for him yet. He is a huge Lego Batman fan. I know he would love the Batmersive VR experience.
    05-17-2017 09:05 AM
    Hi welcome to the forum, I invite you to register in order to follow this and any other question easier, also to share any experience you may have in this Virtual world.

If you use a Desktop Head mounted display like Oculus Rift or HTC ViVE you can start the experience while he is wearing the headset, but I think it might be a little heavy for him and I also think it's not totally recommended for little children yet.

Also maybe the pupillary distance (distance between eyes) will be hard to adjust while your kid is wearing it also because the minimum distance the HMD can handle.

If you want to use a smartphone based VR experience I'm not sure if that is possible for all apps, but some don't detect if you are actually wearing the headset, so you could simply start it and pass it to your kid.
    05-17-2017 02:22 PM
    I have a 5 year old that I share VR stuff with every now and then. Depending on your kid's head size, you might have to limit to only experiences or gaze-based stuff, since he might have to hold the front of the Gear VR with his hands.

That said, what I do is get the experience started, pause it, then pass it over to him, holding my thumb over the proximity sensor so it doesn't go into sleep mode, help him get it on and then talk him through how to unpause it.

I do limit it to only a few sessions a month, really, and short sessions at that. I don't think it's going to do any damage, but I don't want to take too many chances, so I generally limit to 15 minutes at most per session.

I don't think there's a good way (yet) to really see what he's seeing, so you'll have to rely on how well he can follow your directions and describe to you what's going on.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    05-18-2017 05:24 AM
    I keep a small blob of bluetack on the side of the inside and pop that on the sensor when required.

I highly recommend the Lego Batman VR experience.
    Firegold21 and pkcable like this.
    05-18-2017 09:31 AM