I am intrigued by VR, but I have never had the opportunity to even try a headset. What sort of games are available and are there other uses besides basic games?

Couldn't find a way to rely so editing to say thanks for the info. I have the 26th Edge and would love to upgrade to the 28th and get the gear to go with it. I'll have to check stores near here to see if there are any Denis. None of my friends have out. They're mostly luddites... LoL
    Last edited by sassafrastea; 04-16-2017 at 04:02 AM.
    04-12-2017 07:49 AM
    There are all kinds of games available. Shooters, exploration, adventure, and so many different puzzle games. There's a great list of some of the really good ones here. The Best games for Samsung Gear VR | VRHeads

As for things that aren't games, we've seen:

Therapy and rehabilitation โ€” VR Therapy โ€” using an HTC Vive to help with concussions | VRHeads

Art โ€” https://twitter.com/lizaledwards/sta...57821981528066

and Education โ€” https://edu.google.com/expeditions/

There's a ton you can do with VR, I hope you get to try it for yourself soon!
    pkcable likes this.
    04-12-2017 11:33 AM
    Well, technically, you don't. Need to, that is. You might want to, though. ;-)

What Russell said is very true and I'd add a suggestion to find a place that has a demo of the Gear VR or Daydream for mobile-based VR or the Vive or Rift for PC-based. VR really is something you have to try to believe.
    04-13-2017 09:15 PM
    I am intrigued by VR, but I have never had the opportunity to even try a headset. What sort of games are available and are there other uses besides basic games?
    I think VR i something you should try at least once. I cant promise you will like it but if you are watching the right content its definitely an exciting experience Maybe ask a friend if you could borrow a pair and try it out?

With regards to games, there are quite a few. just follow the link Russell Holly posted and you should get a good idea of how things work. The most common headset is the Gear VR by Samsung. It does require a Galaxy S6 or higher to work.

Other uses besides games? Well i personally like the tourism aspect. You can have a virtual guided tour around a country with a 360 degree view. Maybe they can show you a short video of a beach and you can look around to see whats happening. Isn't that awesome?
    04-15-2017 03:23 AM
    I remember the first time I tried it. I was in a Noel Leeming store here in NZ and they had a demo unit. I just got a S6 edge and myself and a work colleague were looking at things to buy our partners so we said hell why not give it a try.

As soon as it went on and the Avengers battle scene video started playing I knew I had to get one. Its honestly impossible to explain as it varies for each person but for me it was breath taking. I supposedly had my mouth open the entire time.

If you want a sample try and get a cardboard viewer online as a starting point then try a Gear VR to see night and day difference. I havent tried a PC based one yet but if its better than Gear I will probably cream. (Sorry but I prob would)
    04-15-2017 06:22 PM