Hi, all. I am trying to plan a mini-itx VR build. I am not building a dedicated VR setup, because I will also be using it for software development and other things. It will be running Linux, as well. (Yes, I'm aware of the limited VR experience that Linux is currently providing, but it's getting better). What I've spec'd out so far is:

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor
    Thermaltake Core V1 SPCC Mini ITX Cube Gaming Computer Case
    Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 650W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU
    I already have some DDR4 ram and an M2 SSD.

That's all great for non-VR stuff, too. I am not entirely dead-set on any of that, so if any of you have some suggestions, feel free to holler. The only thing that I am not entirely sure about is which video card to use. I do not want to spend a crazy amount on a card, because I won't be using VR all of the time. But when I am in VR, I'd like a card that is decently capable, and it doesn't need to be the best. I was looking at this one:

ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 AMP 6GB GDDR5 192-bit Gaming Graphics Card

My upper limit on a graphics card would be somewhere around $350 or $375. How does all of this sound?
    09-12-2019 04:31 PM
    09-12-2019 10:46 PM
    Hi, all. I am trying to plan a mini-itx VR build. I am not building a dedicated VR setup, because I will also be using it for software development and other things. It will be running Linux, as well. (Yes, I'm aware of the limited VR experience that Linux is currently providing, but it's getting better). What I've spec'd out so far is:

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor
    Thermaltake Core V1 SPCC Mini ITX Cube Gaming Computer Case
    Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 650W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU
    I already have some DDR4 ram and an M2 SSD.

That's all great for non-VR stuff, too. I am not entirely dead-set on any of that, so if any of you have some suggestions, feel free to holler. The only thing that I am not entirely sure about is which video card to use. I do not want to spend a crazy amount on a card, because I won't be using VR all of the time. But when I am in VR, I'd like a card that is decently capable, and it doesn't need to be the best. I was looking at this one:

ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 AMP 6GB GDDR5 192-bit Gaming Graphics Card

My upper limit on a graphics card would be somewhere around $350 or $375. How does all of this sound?
    I haven't used a 1660 myself, but from what I understand, it's a good card for general purpose. However, VR, to a degree, isn't really general purpose. Most retailers do have a pretty generous return policy, so if you do get it, I would test a VR game right away to see if you like the performance.

Out of your build list, the only thing I would counter is the PSU. Maybe getting something a little stronger, like 750 or 850? Otherwise, everything else seems pretty solid.
    pkcable likes this.
    09-13-2019 12:26 AM