After planning to buy a new phone for almost half a year, I finally narrowed my choices down to these two. G5 has usb 3.1 (sounds awesome for streaming VR games from PC) removable SD, battery and the quantum IPS display with one of the deepest black that an IPS can produce... S6 on the other hand, well, has the famous Super AMOLED display...
    So, what do you think, can the G5 display compete with Super AMOLED when it comes to VR? Does the USB 3.1 have any considerable advantage when considering streaming platforms like VRidge?

Thanks for the replies...
    12-23-2016 02:34 PM
    Well, just considering just your question, the IPS LCD against the AMOLED, the short answer is Yes, the G5 could be a better option.

But there is not only that to consider, the IPS LCD has better colors than the AMOLED but worse blacks, IPS has faster response time (please don't confuse IPS LCD with LCD which is terribly slow) but IPS consumes more energy and is thicker than the AMOLED screens... we can continue doing comparison because are internally totally different kind of screens.

Both phones are great, maybe other specs could be the deal breaker for you, but because the Response Time and the definition of the IPS LCD displays (IPS LCD is sharper even with bad blacks) it make it better for VR,but will consume more battery, maybe you want to try Gear VR, in that matter Samsung owns Gear VR, so I think it's about what you want to really do.
    12-23-2016 06:16 PM
    Remember, the G5's VR display is a separate display that plugs into the USB-C port, so the screen on the phone becomes irrelevant. The G5 screen does Cardboard very well, but the quality of the stuff on Cardboard doesn't make the screen matter.
    12-23-2016 09:54 PM
    Wow, thanks for the replies. Almost all forums say Super Amoled is better because it has "lower persistence" (not sure what it means), true black and with QHD it is as sharp as any LCD, it is interesting to read some points supporting IPs. I would use them with some well made cardboard based VR headset, so the display matters.
    12-24-2016 05:10 PM