How far off are we from having holographic detail where we can simply look around the room and see what we want to see instead of having to strap a vr headset to our face? I enjoy VR but all of the gear makes it cumbersome.
    01-16-2017 10:25 AM
    We are still a few years off that future. The HoloLens is a good start, but in order to completely transform your environment they need to be able to block out all the natural light and control it. Right now that means pass-through cameras and decent processors - plus environment sensors. Probably at least 5 years before all of that is small enough to wear comfortably without so much gear.
    01-16-2017 11:25 AM
    How far off are we from having holographic detail where we can simply look around the room and see what we want to see instead of having to strap a vr headset to our face? I enjoy VR but all of the gear makes it cumbersome.
    Hi Welcome to the forum, as EgoAnt said it's a long way to reach the really holographics live.

But there are some options glassesless like HoloLamp: Portable, Projector-Based, Glasses-Free Augmented Reality.

You can watch a video of it here:

pkcable likes this.
    01-16-2017 11:45 AM
    The first company that can give us a holodeck will have all my money!

But yeah, things are slowly getting their. I believe we will see more holographic offerings in the future similar to what Chemy JMHT shared.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    01-17-2017 10:21 PM
    We are still a few years off that future. The HoloLens is a good start, but in order to completely transform your environment they need to be able to block out all the natural light and control it. Right now that means pass-through cameras and decent processors - plus environment sensors. Probably at least 5 years before all of that is small enough to wear comfortably without so much gear.
    I agree. In the near future, VR headsets will much less hassle to set up/ put on. Last year, Mark Zuckerberg showed his idea of what VR/AR tech would look like in the future:

I want holograms not headsets!-screen-shot-2017-02-01-18.38.33.png

article:
    Facebook's VR future is a pair of glasses - Business Insider
    pkcable likes this.
    02-01-2017 12:48 PM
    Well I just posted this:

http://forums.vrheads.com/vr-news-di...olograms-9743/

It's basically a projector to reproduce 3D holograms, it's so amazing that I am in the edge of believing it's just a scam or something like that.
    02-01-2017 05:13 PM
    Holograms are definitely possible, they have been for a long time. I vaguely remember during my childhood watching an education show about Australia miners and they had a state-of-the-art hologram show for teaching. This must have been about 10 years ago.

It worked using a glass desk which had mirrors underneath which projectors bounced off.

The problem is, how do you get holograms to show up on small surfaces, the one i saw was on a desk which likely had 30cm worth of equipment below.

For what it's worth, I think VR and holograms are completely different beasts, VR is much prefered for gaming because you can have much higher quality images and a completely immersive environment. Oh, well i'm always hoping to be proven wrong : ). Also @Chemy JMHT, thanks for that post, thats extrodinary!
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    02-18-2017 09:11 AM