Home VRHeads Q&A > Ask a Question (no registration!)

How to set up my Mac to develop VR games for Quest?

Asked: Jun 03 2019 | 9:04 pm EDT 244 Views 2 Answers View Best Answer

I know the question is insane, but I am an artist and I use my macbook pro for everything. Is it possible to use my macbookpro to develop low poly games for Quest with Unreal Engine? If so, how do I set it up?
Thank you,
- Carlos

Best Answer

Jun 04 2019 | 12:31 am EDT KermEd

I know the question is insane, but I am an artist and I use my macbook pro for everything. Is it possible to use my macbookpro to develop low poly games for Quest with Unreal Engine? If so, how do I set it up?
Thank you,
- Carlos
Good question - I've been working with the quest around the clock. Here is a multiplayer game we started making on Friday using traditional hand drawn art using crayons in VR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4hAqFPyqi4

So, first off, yes I think you might be good. The quest is technically Android. But the Oculus tools I think are Windows only. So you may need to sue Bootcamp or something to run Windows, install Unity, and ADB and the Oculus SDK. Fróm there pushing it to the quest isn't as tough.

Now, I have to say, building for the Quest is going to be hard for a first time VR experience. Their framework is VERY poorly done and even worse for documentation. I'd recommend looking into Circuit Stream from Lou I think it is who does VR training for very affordable prices. But out of every VR headset I've worked with - the quest is the most difficult. And the Oculus team is looking for games with 60k+ budgets.

If I get time I'll try and post some tutorials on YouTube for getting started on the quest.

As for using Unreal though, I believe they are also PC only - but the blueprint system may save you some time. But I'm not sure if that framework is any better than the Unity one they created.

More Answers