I currently have a Umidigi VR Box 6. It's pretty comfortable, the lenses are fully adjustable (depth for focus and IP distance) and it worked well with my previous phone, however, it doesn't work so well with the Pixel XL. The spring loaded retention clip on the headset tray presses the volume up and down buttons on the phone. I tried turning the phone the other way around so the buttons were facing down, but there are some apps that don't like the phone being in that orientation. It also gives me kind of a fishbowl effect with the Daydream app.

I also have a Daydream View. It works great with the Daydream app, however, the headset doesn't work so well other apps and videos and causes a lot of distortion. I also don't care for the image produced by the lenses. The outer edges of the image seem extremely blurry and it just isn't an enjoyable experience. The lenses aren't adjustable at all. Not everyone has the same eyesight or IP distance.

All that being said, I'm looking for a headset that works well with the Pixel XL and the Daydream app, has adjustable lenses, and is comfortable to wear. So hit me with your recommendations, and thanks in advance!
    07-28-2017 11:51 AM
    As far as I know only the Daydream headset works with the daydream app and the "controller" Otherwise you would be limited to Cardboard apps and such. A REALLY good cardboard headset is this one...

VR Merge.....

https://www.amazon.com/Merge-VR-Virt...UvrUvbUpU65515
    buzzard75 likes this.
    07-28-2017 12:54 PM
    You can watch Daydream content without the Daydream View. I did it yesterday with the Expedition app. I loaded up Daydream using my View and went into Expeditions and did the Everest scenes. Then to compare, I took my phone out of the View and put it in my Umidigi. It worked fine and I could go through all the scenes using the controller and everything, but the image seemed more distorted than other VR content I've seen and used my Umidigi for in the past. I will say that the controller went a bit wonky on me at first right after the switch, but after I reset it, it was fine.

Obviously Daydream content is specifically meant to be used with the View. Therefore, the content can be tailored to limit the amount of distortion because the IP distance and the distance from the screen to the lenses is set. Unfortunately, as I said, not everyone's vision or the distance between everyone's eyes is exactly the same.

That VR Merge looks pretty cool though. I like how the phone just slides right in the top and you don't even have to take it out of the case since the whole thing is flexible. I didn't see where it specifically said the lenses were adjustable, but their webpage says the IPD is adjustable. I might check them out. If anyone else has suggestions, I would appreciate it!
    07-28-2017 07:56 PM