which is the best in all of this?
    08-16-2017 08:10 AM
    I think there are a lot of things to consider, like this "algorithm"

From the top to the bottom i think it goes like this:
    1. You want the best experience and money isn't a problem, go for the Oculus Rift+Touch+Extra Camera or HTC ViVE and a top of the line Gaming Laptop.
    2. Money is a problem abd you already have a PS4 and don't have a VR capable PC and don't want to spend all the money needed for it, go for a PSVR.
    3. You don't have a PS4 and have a computer which can handle VR, don't have a lot of money, go for the Rift.
    3.1 You don't have a PS4 and have a computer which can handle VR, don't have a lot of money, but you want the controllers, go for the Rift+Touch but like right now until the sale ends ($399).
    3.2. Do you like some of the content for a specific device, chose that device.
    4. Do you want a mobile experience with high end devices, in all ways possibles, go for the Samsung S8+ and the new GearVR and the Daydream headsets.
    4.1 You want a mobile based device but doesn't have tons of money, do for the cheaper option, the ZTE Axon also the Moto Z2 Play could become Daydream compatible but so far it isn't.
    4.2 You just want to try a little, go for a Cardboard compatible smartphone.

And so on...

But my real recommendation is, try all the devices you can before buying, maybe the one which gives you the best experiences for what you want is the Daydream and you will be stuck with a desktop computer and a bulky headset because you didn't try it before.

If I was able to chose and money wasn't an issue, I will love to go for a more than $5000 Gaming laptop and the Oculus Rift, Oculus Touch Controllers and the extra camera sensor, I kind of like the Rift because I have one, but my "dream" VR experience could be easily around $7500.

The answer from PK is pretty much the mature answer and mine the settle up with what you can answer.
    Well there are 3 basic levels of VR. The VERY bottom is Google Cardboard and Cardboard like devices (they are NOT all made of cardboard, BUT they all support Googles Cardboard app, which runs on Android AND iOS. Its ok, and can serve as an introduction to VR. A good one to get is called the Merge VR, but it's a LITTLE pricey.

Ok next up are phone based systems like the Google Daydream View and the Gear VR. These ARE a step above and they cost a bit more PLUS require a compatible flagship phone, such as a high end Samsung phone in the case of the Gear or certain other phones, (for Daydream) such as the Pixel phones, Mate 9 Pro, Asus Zen AR, Moto Z (not the Z Play), and the Samsung S8/S8+ (which supports Daydream and Gear VR). These headsets cost 79 for the Daydream and 129 for the Gear VR. Plus as I said you need a 500 to 1000 dollar phone.

Top of the line are headsets that connect to a computer plus the PSVR. The Oculus Rift and HTC Vive cost 600 to 800 plus you need a powerful PC that cost in the 1500 range. Your current PC probably doesn't measure up. But it might. The PSVR requires a 400 dollar PS4 and itself cost around 300. These are the best experiences you will get in VR but the most costly.

My recommendation would be a Google Daydream View or Gear VR depending on what phone you have BUT if you have an iPhone or another phone that does not support those get the Merge VR "cardboard" like headset!
    Last edited by pkcable; 08-16-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    08-16-2017 07:42 PM
    I think there are a lot of things to consider, like this "algorithm"

From the top to the bottom i think it goes like this:
    1. You want the best experience and money isn't a problem, go for the Oculus Rift+Touch+Extra Camera or HTC ViVE and a top of the line Gaming Laptop.
    2. Money is a problem abd you already have a PS4 and don't have a VR capable PC and don't want to spend all the money needed for it, go for a PSVR.
    3. You don't have a PS4 and have a computer which can handle VR, don't have a lot of money, go for the Rift.
    3.1 You don't have a PS4 and have a computer which can handle VR, don't have a lot of money, but you want the controllers, go for the Rift+Touch but like right now until the sale ends ($399).
    3.2. Do you like some of the content for a specific device, chose that device.
    4. Do you want a mobile experience with high end devices, in all ways possibles, go for the Samsung S8+ and the new GearVR and the Daydream headsets.
    4.1 You want a mobile based device but doesn't have tons of money, do for the cheaper option, the ZTE Axon also the Moto Z2 Play could become Daydream compatible but so far it isn't.
    4.2 You just want to try a little, go for a Cardboard compatible smartphone.

And so on...

But my real recommendation is, try all the devices you can before buying, maybe the one which gives you the best experiences for what you want is the Daydream and you will be stuck with a desktop computer and a bulky headset because you didn't try it before.

If I was able to chose and money wasn't an issue, I will love to go for a more than $5000 Gaming laptop and the Oculus Rift, Oculus Touch Controllers and the extra camera sensor, I kind of like the Rift because I have one, but my "dream" VR experience could be easily around $7500.

The answer from PK is pretty much the mature answer and mine the settle up with what you can answer.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    08-16-2017 08:58 PM
    I'm not sure where in the world you are, BUT here in the states we have a place called Best Buy and they have most of the stuff available to try. Perhaps you have an electronics store like that in your town?
    08-16-2017 10:36 PM
    I don't have much to add. You really can't say one thing is better than other because PC rigs are for different markets than mobile, etc. If you can give us a better idea of what you want to do, we can figure a solution.
    Firegold21 likes this.
    08-17-2017 11:36 AM
    Like others have said, the "best" one depends on your usage and purpose for it. I have a Gear VR, which is the most I can afford at present. It's actually very good, aside from the lack of positional tracking and full motion controllers. And it's one of the cheapest options, if you 1) have a compatible Samsung flagship phone or 2) can take advantage of an upgrade offer with your carrier.

Daydream is, imo, just slightly below the Gear VR, but has more options for phones to use with it.

Next are the PC/console-based devices. They're the most expensive, but have the most features. However, the optics and resolution are no better than the Gear VR; especially now that the Galaxy S8/S8+ has essentially 4k resolution on it.
    08-17-2017 05:44 PM
    I want VR for flight simulation. I have no budget and an old laptop so I figure I will need a new computer first. I and looking at some of the new VR ready Laptops like the Lenovo Legion Y720. My question is what should I use for interaction control. Flight simulation has buttons and knobs and throttles to be manipulated. Has any real progress on being able to do this realistically been made or are we waiting for better glovesÉ
    08-23-2017 05:54 PM
    I want VR for flight simulation. I have no budget and an old laptop so I figure I will need a new computer first. I and looking at some of the new VR ready Laptops like the Lenovo Legion Y720. My question is what should I use for interaction control. Flight simulation has buttons and knobs and throttles to be manipulated. Has any real progress on being able to do this realistically been made or are we waiting for better glovesÉ
    OK, you have a great question for someone outside of this, you have to be aware that any experience (game or simulator) on VR is pretty different, is you are playing WarThunder as a Pilot you will need to reach your keyboard for some actions just by having the headset, but if you have the controllers of your VR Headset you could control the airplane by interacting with the airplane with your controllers in the virtual world.

Let me explain it in a better way, the games and experiences that doesn't have the full representation of the Airplane cabin on VR would need to use some real and different keys for each thing, like a key for the flaps, another for the ailerons, another for breaks and so on.

But some simulators and games allow you to just move your hand with your VR controllers and operate the airplane with the actual switches in the VR cabin.

So first I think you need to see which experience or game do you want, maybe the PS4 + the PSVR will do the trick and you won't need a new computer + the VR Headset is you don't have enough money.
    08-23-2017 09:17 PM
    The best way to get a vr experience is the PlayStation route. Most people already have a ps4 . I don't own a psvr headset yet but I am interested in getting one. I don't have a pc with good specs to even entertain that thought .
    08-24-2017 05:36 AM
    I think Daydream View or GearVR are the obvious choice!
    08-24-2017 09:05 AM
    Theses days answering this is a very tricky one, with all those MR HMD now Steam compatible and lower prices, I wonder if with the Windows Mixed Reality it will be just matter of choosing the brand you like the most or the colors.
    11-25-2017 12:11 PM