I've been a big supporter of 3D TV and movies and I hate that they never really took off outside of movie theaters. Since VR seems primed to take off and it won't have the same issues as 3D TV's have -- brightness and causing headaches being the main two -- do you think we could be watching 3D content on our VR headsets anytime soon?

I don't see this being much of a stretch. The PS4 supports Blu-Rays. The Xbox One does as well, and I'm sure we'll be hearing about their VR project soon. And if you have a computer that can handle Vive or Oculus, then it should have no problem with 3D content.

This would also eliminate the need for buying new TVs. It would be a win for everyone, except TV manufactures unfortunately, but they made their own beds when they started selling 3D formats that clearly weren't ready.

Of course, this could all be moot. Because I'm sure we'll be getting VR movies sooner or later.
    09-11-2016 03:22 PM
    As far I now you can now watch 3D movies for the previous formats and technologies with the VR headsets, I haven't tried but I'm really willing to do it soon.

Also you will find a lot of VR movies already released, well shorts more than movies.
    the_moesiah likes this.
    09-12-2016 12:31 AM
    I'm REAL big on all things 3D, so I'm hoping this revives the format.

Hopefully we'll very some good 2D to 3D conversion out of this as well.
    09-12-2016 08:49 AM
    My Experience with 3D hasn't gone much further than 3D Anyaglyph, talk about old and uncomfortable, when you take the glasses off everything looks blue and red, lol still this has been around since the late 50's I think, it's the oldest forum of 3D, I have a couple pairs of Anaglyph glasses and what I like is they are not only affordable but they are comfortable, if VR goggles evolve into something as small and light as that it would be awesome, but for now it is what it is, still I would take VR over Anaglyph any day!
    09-14-2016 12:59 AM
    Actually, so far, the best thing about VR is that for most things you don't really need a 3D format. Just by splitting a 2D image from a tv show or movie to two eyes, you'll get a pretty decent 3D effect. I've been able to play some of my 3D image files and videos on there, and it looks amazing. I don't think it will officially have anything to do with the saving of 3D. But I DO think that since most of the things it does works well with 2D to 3D conversion you will find that it becomes irrelevant. The higher the resolution is, the better the 2D to 3D conversion looks.
    09-14-2016 01:13 AM
    My experience of 3D is limited. I watched a Freddy film back in the day that came with glasses. Was understandable poor. Couple of years ago I watched a football(soccer) match at a pub and was impressed. Though it kind of reminded me of everything being cardboard cutout's and it seemed odd being transported to different views in the stadium. I enjoyed it though until I took the glasses off and my depth perception was all messed up.

I had no side effects watching a little 3D part of a pantomime I went to though. Had spiders jumping at us and it showed rain as they squirted the audience with water pistols lol.

I have a feeling that having the blackout effect of a headset on will temper any nasty side effects. Can't wait to try it again!
    09-14-2016 03:56 AM
    Once you get use to using something like the Rift or Vive, you realize how cool 3D is on those devices. There is no darkening of the image, no flashing, no moiring, and it becomes very immersive. It takes a while, but if you watch something long enough, you begin to feel like you are part of it. I have watched scuba diving 360 videos, and when a shark comes swimming up to where you are in the video, its more than a little unnerving.. I've found myself forgetting that whatever I was near isn't real and that when I start to get a little tired, I can't lean on it. I've found myself playing certain clips over and over again because you can move around them and see them from different angles, and see something new at least 3 or 4 times that you do that. Even with regular movies, once you get immersed, you really feel like you aren't just watching the movie anymore, so much as witnessing it. Its a pretty powerful way to experience film..
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    09-14-2016 04:24 PM
    I'm certain that in a few years someone will have a swift little program developed where you put your 3D bluerays into your computer, then this program rips them into VR compatible video files.
    09-25-2016 09:38 PM
    I just tried two minutes recently and the feeling was better with the Rift than with a $1000 3D Samsung TV.

So maybe it may save the old 3D movies but I think it will be more for VR movies
    09-26-2016 09:08 AM
    The beauty of some of these VR Glasses, and VR Players, is that even 2D content gets separated to two eyes. And if the film art and angles are 3D friendly, then it still looks like its actually 3D and looks great. Tonight I was watching 2D versions of the following, and they all looked great. From the Animatrix DVD, "Final Flight of the Osiris", Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, and The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies (2D version). And all of it looked incredible. My opinion is, even if it doesn't save the 3D format, it will still save watching movies in 3D.
    09-26-2016 11:17 PM