Folks,

I have heard that you need a powerful PC to attach your Oculus Rift or HTC Vive to, BUT can any laptops handle it? Maybe an Alienware or a Razor? What's the deal?
    01-06-2017 09:20 AM
    I have an MSI laptop, a GT72S 6QE and it can handle the Vive and the Oculus CV1. It isn't fantastic at it - but it works and for many programs it's good enough. There are definitely a bunch of MSI products in their current line that could handle it.

I'm sure ASUS and a couple of the other big gaming laptop makers are probably launching with comparable products.

EDIT: Of course VR Heads already has a write-up on this! Check out their Best Laptops for VR article!
    I have an MSI laptop, a GT72S 6QE and it can handle the Vive and the Oculus CV1. It isn't fantastic at it - but it works and for many programs it's good enough. There are definitely a bunch of MSI products in their current line that could handle it.

I'm sure ASUS and a couple of the other big gaming laptop makers are probably launching with comparable products.

EDIT: Of course VR Heads already has a write-up on this! Check out their Best Laptops for VR article!
    Last edited by EgoAnt; 01-06-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    01-06-2017 10:38 AM
    @EgoAnt You beat me to it!

@pkcwble The VRHeads article shared by EgoAnt is definitely a great article on what laptops to get for VR.

Being a fan of Asus, a laptop in their Republic Of Gamers line is one I would check out.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    01-06-2017 04:01 PM
    The problem that I think one could have using the Rift with a laptop is a shortage of USB ports.
    Using the Rift with a third sensor requires quite a lot of ports, and I am not sure if a laptop will have that many.
    But running the Vive on a laptop seems to be like the optimal solution, since it can be used in different larger rooms, where the main PC isn't located
    01-06-2017 04:22 PM
    A small, powered USB hub should suffice for most VR headsets. My Vive only requires one.
    01-06-2017 04:52 PM
    The Rift requires 1 USB 2.0 (for the XBOX controller), and I think 1 USB 3.0 for each satellite tracker, so at the worst scenario 3x USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0.

I tried with my laptop and didn't even detected the Rift :P

I really want to upgrade, I love the all GT series by MSI, also the Razor's, ASUS and Acer, but the lowest price for a VR ready laptop is around $1000 and so far I can't use that money for that.

I would love to have the new Predator 21X of more than $9000 with 2x 1080 SLi and 64GB RAM, but just if money is not an issue
    01-06-2017 07:05 PM
    01-06-2017 07:59 PM
    I am seeing more with the incursion of the new 1050 from NVIDIA and the new CPUs I saw a few below 1000$ laptops which are VR ready.
    01-10-2017 09:34 PM

Damn, that's a nice laptop.
    01-11-2017 07:56 PM
    IF I ever did go full blown VR I would most likely go the laptop route! I have an iMac 27 inch that I'm very happy with so a desktop is kinda out. Actually Playstation VR might be the way to go for me, BUT for now my Pixel and Daydream are keeping me pretty entertained!
    01-12-2017 11:16 AM
    IF I ever did go full blown VR I would most likely go the laptop route! I have an iMac 27 inch that I'm very happy with so a desktop is kinda out. Actually Playstation VR might be the way to go for me, BUT for now my Pixel and Daydream are keeping me pretty entertained!
    PlayStation VR has been treating me well. It's slowly becoming my favorite, actually.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-15-2017 07:54 PM
    Well Zotac has some "Gaming Mini PC" which can handle VR, not as cheap as I would want but that's an option too:

MAGNUS EN1060
    pkcable likes this.
    01-16-2017 12:06 PM