Home VRHeads Q&A > Ask a Question (no registration!)

Can the Vive and Rift be used on Linux?

Asked: Jan 15 2017 | 3:29 am EST 1797 Views 4 Answers View Best Answer

Hi everyone,

So I have just recently started to think about maybe trying out linux, but my fear is that it won't be compatible with VR headsets like the Vive.

Are those headsets currently supporting only windows? And what does "supporting" mean? Does it mean that it won't work at all, that it will work laggy, or possible very minor problems?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Jan 15 2017 | 8:47 am EST pjs37

Linux support on the VR side is...lacking. There is the OpenHMD project out there but from what I understand its more or less limited in its experience. Valve's saying SteamVR is under works for Linux but I suspect its probably not seeing much movement until adoption rates improve. Even OSVR is pretty much unusable. For the time being if you want to enjoy VR its a relatively Windows only thing for now.

More Answers

Jan 15 2017 | 7:25 pm EST Chemy JMHT

Hi everyone,

So I have just recently started to think about maybe trying out linux, but my fear is that it won't be compatible with VR headsets like the Vive.

Are those headsets currently supporting only windows? And what does "supporting" mean? Does it mean that it won't work at all, that it will work laggy, or possible very minor problems?

Thanks!
There is a lot going around Linux and those VR headsets you mentioned, but not for that is enough, the most experiences are on Windows (and Android of course), but there are some works for Linux, you can find more info about it here:

VR on Linux
Jan 16 2017 | 4:10 pm EST krisguy

At least Steam/Valve is honestly giving a Linux option. OSVR is another one, but since the Linux desktop base is small, I really don't see widespread adoption until the OS community comes up with an API or service that works.
Jan 26 2017 | 9:55 pm EST Chemy JMHT

At least Steam/Valve is honestly giving a Linux option. OSVR is another one, but since the Linux desktop base is small, I really don't see widespread adoption until the OS community comes up with an API or service that works.
yes, there will always be some enthusiasts doing some hard work to have everything working somehow on Linux, but sometimes that's not enough.