Hey,

I have the HP Windows Mixed Reality headset and would like to use its sensors for depth mapping.

Firstly are the 2 sensors/cameras IR sensors???

Secondly is there actually anyway to access these sensors using open source codes so I can use the headset to generate depth maps of real physical environments so I can map my own textures.

For example I want the headset to map the wall inside the room so in the future I can apply a custom texture!

I tried the Universal windows platform sample to try and access the sensors but it didn't work. I just need a way to get into those sensors if there is!

If not possible what would you all recommend I do? Alternatively I could purchase the zed-mini hardware sensor which does what a MR headset is supposed to do and is Unity friendly (which is what I use), but I would rather crack the sensors and create something on my own which you could all use too, again, if possible.
    07-19-2018 10:32 AM
    Welcome to VRHeads! We are going to need more info in order to help you further. Please join the site. Here's how....
    http://forums.vrheads.com/ask-questi...eads-com-8087/

Sounds like a developer type question, maybe my friends @KermEd, @EgoAnt or @Firegold21 can answer?

You might also check these 2 places....

https://forums.vrheads.com/vr-developer-lounge-f349/

Or

https://forums.windowscentral.com/#virtual-reality
    07-20-2018 09:29 AM
    This is a tough one. Now, I need to preface this by saying I don't use the Mixed Reality headsets and our studio doesn't support them.

However one of my associates does. I remember when he was working with them he was very frustrated. Fundamentally, the headsets are deeply tied to the OS and it can be very tricky to access any of the components. In so far as I know, you can't access any of its components indirectly.

Each one of there MR headsets is completely different from the other and they have a strict SDK design to follow. I'm not sure if it has any sensors at all, but what I use from time to time is the generic IR cameras that come with the OSVR headsets.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-20-2018 09:53 AM
    Also, personally what I think you might be looking for is the leap motion or the Kinect v2. They have mounts for most headsets.

Texture mapping etc can be done as well using just OpenCV and a camera or two if needed.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-20-2018 09:54 AM
    Hey, I'm the one who posted this thread, thanks so much for your reply KermEd
    I have a few questions though for you or anybody who is interested
    1. Does the HP Windows Mixed Reality headset have 2 cameras or are they tracking sensors? I don't think they are cameras as I cannot grab video data to record live footage like a webcam so they must be tracking sensors for inside-out tracking?

2. Who can I contact or what can I do to access these tracking sensors or anything for my own use!?

3. Is the best alternative to what I want a zed mini?

I just want the ability to create a depth map of the real time environment so I can then map my own textures, so when someone puts on the CR headset instead of seeing a wall infront of them in white paint I want to add my own texture or brick wall, so to create my own environment! Instead of a real chair right in-front of me I want a futuristic chair, etc
    08-02-2018 03:58 AM