I currently have a Samsung S7 and gearVR but looking for an upgrade for better VR performance. I also would like to try Daydream and work with ARCore.

I've been reading about pixel density of screen being the determining factor of the quality of VR image (minimising the screen door effect). Is this the case? will the phone with the highest density give the best image?

Phone Pixel Density
    s7 575.92
    S8 567.53
    Pixel2XL 537
    S8+ 530.92
    Note8 522.49
    Pixel2 441

Has anyone compared the image quality of these models? is the difference noticeable?
    10-07-2017 02:29 PM
    Pixel density is important, but I would not call it the determining factor. The combination of processor power, screen black ratio, pixel density, and RAM all are important in the experience.

I've only used Samsung devices, because I like Gear VR. In the case of Samsung devices, VR Heads already has a blog post on this: https://www.vrheads.com/samsung-gala...-phone-best-vr.

Honestly, I don't understand why people are getting hung up on specs on this. There's too many parts that can make or break a good VR experience.

If I wanted to use a phone for VR, I would pick either the S8+ or Pixel2XL, and I would personally go with the Note 8. The pen is more important to me than a few pixels, but I can still use Gear VR.
    10-08-2017 04:17 PM
    Ok I have a Pixel 2 XL coming around 10/18, so I will add that to the mix then. I don’t know the ins and outs on pixel density. I know by what I have seen. I have used a Pixel, Pixel XL, Moto Z Force and an S8 in my Daydream. By far the S8 has the best picture within VR. I also have a GearVR and overall the GearVR has the best picture with the S8 in it, BUT I still prefer the Daydream for the apps, ease of use and over all comfort of wearing it. And the picture quality is close as long as I use the S8.

I will I’ll factor in the Pixel 2 XL once it’s delivered.
    10-08-2017 09:27 PM
    Thanks for the reply Krisguy, I too would prefer to get the Note 8 instead of an S8+ but i dont want to negatively affect the VR image quality.
    I have already read the article you posted but im dont understand the part where it says the s8+ has got the best pixel density. My research says the s8 has the best of the 3 phones.
    I agree to not get hung up on specs, hence the reason for this post, what i'm trying to find out is can you tell the difference between the images in day-to-day use.
    krisguy likes this.
    10-09-2017 03:18 AM
    The for the reply pkcable, i'm swayed towards samsung devices because of the dual capability of daydream and gear vr. The s8 also works with ARCore and maybe the s8+ to some extent (note 8 isnt compatible at the moment).

i would be really interested to hear how the Pixel 2XL compares with the s8
    krisguy likes this.
    10-09-2017 03:23 AM
    The for the reply pkcable, i'm swayed towards samsung devices because of the dual capability of daydream and gear vr. The s8 also works with ARCore and maybe the s8+ to some extent (note 8 isnt compatible at the moment).

i would be really interested to hear how the Pixel 2XL compares with the s8
    Right oh! I will return to the thread with more thoughts after I get my Pixel 2XL hopefully soon! They estimated 10/18.

EDIT: Correction just checked my order they are now saying 10/25.
    10-09-2017 08:13 PM
    Hi pkcable, did you manage to get and test the pixel 2xl’s experience? Is it better than what you’ve got with the other devices? Please share your thoughts with us! Thanks!
    03-05-2018 07:07 AM
    Hi pkcable, did you manage to get and test the pixel 2xl’s experience? Is it better than what you’ve got with the other devices? Please share your thoughts with us! Thanks!
    Diego, I ended up not getting the Pixel 2 XL, but rather it's kissing cousin the LG V30 (LG made the Pixel 2 XL for Google). Been a while since I stuck it in there so I'm going to check it again tonight before giving you my opinion. HOWEVER I really loved both my S8 and my Note 8 in there!
    03-05-2018 02:57 PM