Seems the HTC Vive will be getting getting some company.

Valve will be teaming up with LG to introduce the second VR head mounted display unit by Valve with more to come.

During an LG presentation of what the new device could become, the components where an "LED panel with a resolution of 1440x1280 per eye, a PPI of 540, and a refresh rate of 90hz."

Here is a pic of someone wearing the prototype: (Looks like some ideas from the PSVR were used):

The idea to life up the HMD like a welder's helmet is kind of a cool concept.

And here is the prototype controller (kinda of a different take on HTC Vive's controllers):

I believe this (and has always been) shows that Valve will stick in supplying the software while collaborating with other companies to provide hardware.

What other hardware companies you wish can team up with Valve?

Source
    jordanlaa likes this.
    03-09-2017 05:36 PM
    I saw a video about this from Tested on YouTube. Looks like a very cool variation of the Vive. The visor design is something Microsoft is working on as well, I believe, with their Windows Mixed Reality (formerly Holographic).
    jordanlaa likes this.
    03-09-2017 05:58 PM
    The controller looks uhh... Interesting.

Hopefully they are able to get the gyroscope as good as that seen on the Nintendo switch. After using the switch, I'm more convinced than ever of how good vr could really get. The sensors in those controllers are insane.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    03-09-2017 06:10 PM
    I just read and article which says the HMD is very promising and good, nothing similar to the previous LG LGR100 VR which was pretty terrible.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    03-09-2017 09:15 PM
    I expect to see maybe one or two more companies make SteamVR equipment (my guess would be a company that makes mobiles for lower-end markets - like Huawei or ZTE). The standards are fairly open, and I don't think another project like OSVR could survive in this market. Also, when Hololens-based AR comes around, that's going to put a kink in the plan.
    03-11-2017 02:52 AM
    I saw a video about this from Tested on YouTube. Looks like a very cool variation of the Vive. The visor design is something Microsoft is working on as well, I believe, with their Windows Mixed Reality (formerly Holographic).
    03-13-2017 03:22 PM
    I read also an article about it (and posted it here: LG's VR HMD Shows High-End Promise, May Offer Mixed Reality - VRHeads Forum) where they said that the LG HMD has in fact some holes for what it looks like some front cameras to do some AR/MR but so far there is nothing in those holes.
    03-15-2017 09:51 PM
    Hmmm I wonder what the impact will be on HTC...their VR line is working out well for them but they are also basically the defacto partner to SteamVR; then again this doesn't look quite as elegant...
    03-17-2017 10:46 PM
    Maybe just cutting prices, I don't think the LG device will be released that soon and today HTC had an event, I will look for the news about it and see what are they after.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    03-19-2017 07:19 PM